Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:03 PM   #1
cmonster
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Playing xvid in itunes

Since some one has found a way to play xvid on apple tv. How to you play them in itunes. I have never been able to add them to my library on my pc. There doesn't seem to be any xvid codecs for quick time on the pc.

Thanks
Kevin
cmonster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:05 PM   #2
killmoms
macrumors 68040
 
killmoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Send a message via AIM to killmoms Send a message via Yahoo to killmoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonster View Post
Since some one has found a way to play xvid on apple tv. How to you play them in itunes. I have never been able to add them to my library on my pc. There doesn't seem to be any xvid codecs for quick time on the pc.

Thanks
Kevin
There aren't! You're screwed!
__________________
thrillmoms.com - You know it.
Welcome to the family…
Mugi: 15" Retina MBP, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
Sakaki: 27" iMac Mid-2010, Haruhi: 16GB iPhone 4, Nagato: 32GB iPad LTE
killmoms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:39 PM   #3
cmonster
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Wow thanks for the hospitality on my first post. Telling me I am screwed is so helpful. Then how are people playing in on AppleTV?
cmonster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:44 PM   #4
irkedpenguin
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
AppleTV uses quicktime to play videos, hence why adding an extension to Library/Quicktime will allow you to play other codecs.
irkedpenguin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:48 PM   #5
killmoms
macrumors 68040
 
killmoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Send a message via AIM to killmoms Send a message via Yahoo to killmoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonster View Post
Wow thanks for the hospitality on my first post. Telling me I am screwed is so helpful. Then how are people playing in on AppleTV?
I'm not being inhospitable, I'm just stating a fact. Besides, that's why I added the smiley—if you'd been talking to me in real life it would've been like a jovial "You're screwed!" shouted while smiling with my arms up in the air. That's hard to convey on the Internet. Chill.

There aren't any QuickTime components that support XviD on Windows, that's what I was saying. The Apple TV can play it now because it runs OS X, and there ARE QuickTime components for OS X that enable XviD playback.
__________________
thrillmoms.com - You know it.
Welcome to the family…
Mugi: 15" Retina MBP, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
Sakaki: 27" iMac Mid-2010, Haruhi: 16GB iPhone 4, Nagato: 32GB iPad LTE
killmoms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 03:32 PM   #6
cmonster
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by killmoms View Post
I'm not being inhospitable, I'm just stating a fact. Besides, that's why I added the smiley—if you'd been talking to me in real life it would've been like a jovial "You're screwed!" shouted while smiling with my arms up in the air. That's hard to convey on the Internet. Chill.

There aren't any QuickTime components that support XviD on Windows, that's what I was saying. The Apple TV can play it now because it runs OS X, and there ARE QuickTime components for OS X that enable XviD playback.
Alright I under stand now. Your right is is hard to understand sarcasm in text, my apologies for misunderstanding you. I am surprised that now one has come up with a codec for quicktime in windows.

Thanks
Kevin
cmonster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 03:35 PM   #7
killmoms
macrumors 68040
 
killmoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Send a message via AIM to killmoms Send a message via Yahoo to killmoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonster View Post
Alright I under stand now. Your right is is hard to understand sarcasm in text, my apologies for misunderstanding you. I am surprised that now one has come up with a codec for quicktime in windows.

Thanks
Kevin
I think it's less that it's particularly hard to come up with, and more that there's simply almost zero demand. Because XviD/DivX are already supported in the myriads of other DirectShow/VfW media players on Windows (and because so many people seem to hate QuickTime Player on Windows... and not entirely without reason), no one's bothered making one.

I'm thinking that the newly hackable AppleTV might change that, but who knows how long that might take.
__________________
thrillmoms.com - You know it.
Welcome to the family…
Mugi: 15" Retina MBP, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
Sakaki: 27" iMac Mid-2010, Haruhi: 16GB iPhone 4, Nagato: 32GB iPad LTE
killmoms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 04:20 PM   #8
cmonster
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by killmoms View Post
I think it's less that it's particularly hard to come up with, and more that there's simply almost zero demand. Because XviD/DivX are already supported in the myriads of other DirectShow/VfW media players on Windows (and because so many people seem to hate QuickTime Player on Windows... and not entirely without reason), no one's bothered making one.

I'm thinking that the newly hackable AppleTV might change that, but who knows how long that might take.

I can really see your point and it makes a lot of sense. But I would love to have everything in iTunes and stream to my other computers. Using it with Frontrow and such. I haven't had to bad of luck with quicktime on windows. I have probably had just as much trouble with Media player.

Kevin
cmonster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 08:42 PM   #9
numbnu7s
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
I've found two ways to play xvid files without using VLC (But I still prefer VLC)

1) Once you have the codec installed drag the xvid file to ~/Movies and you will be able to play it via FrontRow (but still not iTunes)
2) Using ffmpegX, convert the file to .mov and then import it into itunes.

I just tried installing the perian codec and iTunes is [smart|dumb] enough to still not add the xvid file to the library.
numbnu7s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:05 PM   #10
cazlar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
You need to create a "reference movie" that iTunes will be able to use, which basically links to the xvid/whatever file.

Check out http://dettmer.maclab.org/movie2itunes.html

As for if it is possible on Windows, no idea sorry...
cazlar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:34 PM   #11
balamw
Moderator
 
balamw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazlar View Post
You need to create a "reference movie" that iTunes will be able to use, which basically links to the xvid/whatever file.

Check out http://dettmer.maclab.org/movie2itunes.html

As for if it is possible on Windows, no idea sorry...
Another possibility is just to take the streams out of the AVI/etc... container and repackage it in MP4/MOV. The author of VisualHub posted something about this here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...#post324818105 there's a link to a command line executable. This'll probably be the method of choice for most people since it should be relatively quick and "permanent".

B
__________________
MBA (13" 1.7 GHz 128GB), UMBP (15" SD 2.8 GHz), UMB (13" 2.4 GHz), iMac (17" Yonah), 32GB iPad 3 WiFi+LTE, 64 GB iPad WiFi, 32 GB iPhone 5, Airport Extreme
balamw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 01:15 AM   #12
jwillis
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Convert it to .MOV using Quicktime Pro

Hope this doesn't sound too complicated.

The Xvid .AVI format includes an unrecognized mp3 audio layer because the original .AVI spec does not allow VBR audio, .MOV allows VBR audio

1. Install the 3ivx codec http://www.3ivx.com/download/
2. Extract the audio layer http://www.aoamedia.com/audioextractor.htm
3. Open the mp3 file in QuickTime Pro, Edit-> Select All, Copy
4. Open the Xvid .AVI in QuickTime Pro, Edit -> Add to Movie
5. File -> Save -> Save as a self-contained movie .MOV

Now you can add the file to your iTunes playlist and play the movie.
jwillis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 12:25 PM   #13
chmehlmann
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I know this thread is old but never mind.

You can just use Handbrake and convert it a mp4 file and then it plays directly in itunes and front row, presto. 2 minutes and your done..
chmehlmann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 05:55 PM   #14
harley3k
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmehlmann View Post
I know this thread is old but never mind.

You can just use Handbrake and convert it a mp4 file and then it plays directly in itunes and front row, presto. 2 minutes and your done..
2 minutes? How did you manage that?
I tried doing it and it was taking hours to run on a movie length file.

Using Visual Hub does it in about 40 minutes, so I've been doing that...but if there's a quicker way, it would make life easier.
harley3k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 07:11 PM   #15
geoffreak
macrumors 68020
 
geoffreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas; Wish I was in Japan
Remuxing only requires about a minute or so and there is no quality loss. You aren't converting the video, but are just moving the streams into a different container.
I don't know if visualhub is capable of passthroughs, but I believe ffmpegX is.
__________________
rMBP 2.6GHz 16GB 512GB | Mac Mini 2009 2.26GHz | MBP Early '08 2.4GHz | iPhone 4S 32GB | Drobo
Nimbix - Accelerated Cloud Supercomputing
geoffreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 08:38 PM   #16
coogee
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
From memory (so sorry if this is incorrect). This works fine to get iTunes to recognize and play Xvid BUT they do not appear on the AppleTV when streaming?

I use XBMC anyhow, seems a no brainer with the TV but I can understand there may be people who don't want to get into all that.
coogee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 08:40 PM   #17
geoffreak
macrumors 68020
 
geoffreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas; Wish I was in Japan
I think you can hack the Apple TV with perian, then it should be able to play anything you can load into iTunes.
__________________
rMBP 2.6GHz 16GB 512GB | Mac Mini 2009 2.26GHz | MBP Early '08 2.4GHz | iPhone 4S 32GB | Drobo
Nimbix - Accelerated Cloud Supercomputing
geoffreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 09:27 PM   #18
tom1971
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonster View Post
Wow thanks for the hospitality on my first post. Telling me I am screwed is so helpful. Then how are people playing in on AppleTV?
Hi, what you can do is to hack / patch your ATV with a so-called Patchstick. This allows you to play non-iTunes video formats.

PM me if you need more info.
tom1971 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Waking up lid-closed MBP with Remote and playing music in iTunes? milan.smart MacBook Pro 2 Dec 5, 2010 04:02 AM
Play Xvid in MAC OS 10.5.6 ThatGirl Mac Applications and Mac App Store 7 Apr 19, 2009 06:33 AM
Display won't sleep when playing music in iTunes Sharewaredemon Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Jun 27, 2005 12:45 PM
extra step to play video in iTunes 4.8? justjess22 OS X 3 May 23, 2005 12:26 AM
CD extremely warm after playing music in iTunes for a while uae General Mac Discussion 15 Aug 20, 2002 04:51 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC