Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 3, 2007, 08:45 AM   #1
MacVault
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to MacVault Send a message via Yahoo to MacVault Send a message via Skype™ to MacVault
Database in iWork? SQL? FileMaker?

I don't see how iWork can really be complete without a Database. I mean, geez... Keynote and Pages... how much iwork can I do with that? A database would really help. I would love to see Apple come up with a standards-based SQL database with the power for enterprise AND the ease of use of FileMaker.

What are the odds of this happening?
MacVault is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 09:13 AM   #2
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Mac OS X 10.4 has a built in database engine - SQLite. I think it's only a matter of either time or Apple not wanting to stomp on FileMaker's territory (since Apple owns, or at least used to own, the company that makes FileMaker).
Old Apr 3, 2007, 12:41 PM   #3
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
Mac OS X 10.4 has a built in database engine - SQLite. I think it's only a matter of either time or Apple not wanting to stomp on FileMaker's territory (since Apple owns, or at least used to own, the company that makes FileMaker).
Apple owns FileMaker. Apple also bundles OpenBase with the MacOS X Developer Tools.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 12:46 PM   #4
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
However -- a SQL database back end (of whatever form) is miles away from an easy user interface for the Macintosh user set -- a la iPhoto and iWork

The success of Filemaker isn't that it's the most powerful database in the world, it's that unskilled users can get real results out of it within minutes of getting started.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 12:56 PM   #5
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVault View Post
I don't see how iWork can really be complete without a Database. I mean, geez... Keynote and Pages... how much iwork can I do with that? A database would really help. I would love to see Apple come up with a standards-based SQL database with the power for enterprise AND the ease of use of FileMaker.

What are the odds of this happening?
About one in 100, at least as an element of iWork. I'd guess that a "lite" version of FileMaker is more likely, but still long odds.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store