Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I don't see how iWork can really be complete without a Database. I mean, geez... Keynote and Pages... how much iwork can I do with that? A database would really help. I would love to see Apple come up with a standards-based SQL database with the power for enterprise AND the ease of use of FileMaker.

What are the odds of this happening?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Mac OS X 10.4 has a built in database engine - SQLite. I think it's only a matter of either time or Apple not wanting to stomp on FileMaker's territory (since Apple owns, or at least used to own, the company that makes FileMaker).

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Mac OS X 10.4 has a built in database engine - SQLite. I think it's only a matter of either time or Apple not wanting to stomp on FileMaker's territory (since Apple owns, or at least used to own, the company that makes FileMaker).
Apple owns FileMaker. Apple also bundles OpenBase with the MacOS X Developer Tools.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5

However -- a SQL database back end (of whatever form) is miles away from an easy user interface for the Macintosh user set -- a la iPhoto and iWork

The success of Filemaker isn't that it's the most powerful database in the world, it's that unskilled users can get real results out of it within minutes of getting started.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I don't see how iWork can really be complete without a Database. I mean, geez... Keynote and Pages... how much iwork can I do with that? A database would really help. I would love to see Apple come up with a standards-based SQL database with the power for enterprise AND the ease of use of FileMaker.

What are the odds of this happening?

About one in 100, at least as an element of iWork. I'd guess that a "lite" version of FileMaker is more likely, but still long odds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.