Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queso

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
The Russians are coming!! In an attempt to foster economic growth in Eastern Siberia, the Russians are proposing a $65bn rail tunnel under the Bering Strait to North America. The tunnel would be used for the transfer of energy supplies and freight, and would also incorporate cables for communications and the high-voltage transfer of electricity.

I would have thought having an undersea tunnel crossing a tectonic fault line a bad idea, but at least it'll give those scared of flying and sailing the capability of getting from London to New York by train :)

The Times (of London)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
So they're doing this so that they don't need to use boats to travel that 100 km distance? Surely 100 km by boat isn't a big deal. Just build the high-speed trains to Siberia, and build the high speed train from Alaska to Canada (BC, which already has a train to the US), and scrap the bit about the underwater tunnel.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
So they're doing this so that they don't need to use boats to travel that 100 km distance?
How traversable is the Bering Strait year round, though – does it ice up frequently? If so, then I suppose a tunnel would be an attractive prospect as it would guarantee travel between North America-Russia at any time of the year, whatever the weather – tectonic fault lines permitting, of course. ;)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
They've been talking about some sort of land connection across the strait for decades, although this is much more ambitious than any I've seen before...

Hey, it's alot cheaper than the Iraq war...why not?

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
So they're doing this so that they don't need to use boats to travel that 100 km distance? Surely 100 km by boat isn't a big deal. Just build the high-speed trains to Siberia, and build the high speed train from Alaska to Canada (BC, which already has a train to the US), and scrap the bit about the underwater tunnel.

Shhh! Don't tell the French and English.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Interesting idea. I like the idea of the tunnel being used to supply oil and gas to the U.S. Anything that lessens our dependance on oil from the Middle East must have some merit. ;)

Times said:
Russian officials insist that the tunnel is an economic idea whose time has now come and that it could be ready within ten years. They argue that it would repay construction costs by stimulating up to 100 million tons of freight traffic each year, as well as supplying oil, gas and electricity from Siberia to the US and Canada.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Would you pay if his character died, or just if there was an accident on the set and he actually died?

If there was live footage of his death and it was put in a documentary about Xenu. It would be really great to watch him placed beside a volcano and then blown up by a hydrogen bomb, but then his minions will then call him a martyr and tell us how he just reached the next enlightened Thetan level or something silly.

I don't want to give Scientologists any fuel for their fire, so....um......I guess choking on a sausage is the way I'd like to see him die. :p

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Interesting idea... Siberia's rich in natural resources. Eventually the Russians will figure out that America doesn't have much of a manufacturing economy left anymore and they'll just build a highway to South Asia...

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
There was a lengthy special on Discovery Channel on the possibility of building a highway across the Bering Strait. It's been over a year ago. It's feasible. There's a lot to be considered to deal with the iceflow.
They said that with the harsh winters they would only be able to build 4 months a year.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
This would be a lot more interesting to most people if it wasn't connecting the middle of f*cking nowhere to the middle of f*cking nowhere :D

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Well, uh, it starts on the south side of Chicago, in a part of town I certainly wouldn't call the middle of nowhere.

But it also goes through southern Missouri, and being a route that I've driven, probably 100 times, I can say that the extreme middle-of-nowhereness of this part cancels out any middle-of-somethingness that Chicago has :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.