Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's your reaction to what we've seen of SC2?

• It looks absolutely amazing!

Votes: 75 72.8%
  • I was looking forward to it, but I am unimpressed by what Blizzard showed us.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I am unimpressed by what Blizzard showed us, but I am still looking forward to it.

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • I didn't care to begin with, and I still don't.

Votes: 14 13.6%

• Total voters

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 9, 2002
Now that Blizzard has the Starcraft 2 site up, and there are a number of screenshots and some gameplay videos, what is your reaction to SC2?

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
The game looks much better then WC3. I was a little worried about the screenshots but after watching the game play vids I was surprised and pleased. What I am really looking forward is the story line and of course UMS :D Anyway I think the game is far away from a release date but it was nice what little Blizzard managed to give us, some shots, game vid (official on the 20th, although there is some game play in the artwork trailer) and a few of the new protoss units. A better announcement then most games.

I have to agree with raggedjimmi below The Lost Vikings would have been good too :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Starcraft and The Lost Vikings are the only Blizzard games I'm interested in. so I'm happy!

Used to play it back in school. Along with Alpha Centurai :D

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Your poll options are confusing, to me 2 and 3 sound like exactly the same option...

Anyhow, I'm excited yes but I'm afraid Blizzard will play it too safe and just be a glorified Starcraft expansion.

Also at times it sounds too much like a Command & Conquer game (super "can only build one at a time" units, mini zergling nukes, ghost nukes, mass teleport pylons, etc) and while those games are very fun there is a reason why they are not as popular as Blizz's RTS and why there is basically no pro scene, because, super powerful stuff makes way for abuse, abuse makes way for imbalance and imbalance makes way for boring and aggravating games, hopefully Blizzard can balance it well while keeping the pace up.

Heroes and a 4th race would be awesome but who knows, maybe Blizzard is going crazy on the single player campaign and will gives us unique heroes (that level up like WC3) and a 4th campaign featuring a 4th single player only race :D Honestly I don't know why Starcraft fans hate Heroes.

Overall I'm glad its not like WC3, simply because Starcraft is supposed to be a different game, not a Warcraft game in a different setting, this also means Warcraft IV (eta: 2017) will improve on WC3's gameplay and not copy Starcraft II.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Your poll options are confusing, to me 2 and 3 sound like exactly the same option....
They seem different to me:
Option 2 - unimpressed and no longer looking forward to it
Option 3 - unimpressed but looking forward to it

I'm going for option 4.

CANEHDN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Eagle Mountain, UT
Your poll options are confusing, to me 2 and 3 sound like exactly the same option...

Anyhow, I'm excited yes but I'm afraid Blizzard will play it too safe and just be a glorified Starcraft expansion.

Also at times it sounds too much like a Command & Conquer game (super "can only build one at a time" units, mini zergling nukes, ghost nukes, mass teleport pylons, etc) and while those games are very fun there is a reason why they are not as popular as Blizz's RTS and why there is basically no pro scene, because, super powerful stuff makes way for abuse, abuse makes way for imbalance and imbalance makes way for boring and aggravating games, hopefully Blizzard can balance it well while keeping the pace up.

Heroes and a 4th race would be awesome but who knows, maybe Blizzard is going crazy on the single player campaign and will gives us unique heroes (that level up like WC3) and a 4th campaign featuring a 4th single player only race :D Honestly I don't know why Starcraft fans hate Heroes.

Overall I'm glad its not like WC3, simply because Starcraft is supposed to be a different game, not a Warcraft game in a different setting, this also means Warcraft IV (eta: 2017) will improve on WC3's gameplay and not copy Starcraft II.

That will suck if they add heros. And the game is built off the story. I don't know why everyone is so concerned that Blizzard will screw this up. Have they ever let us down yet. Be patient people. More great stuff is coming. I can feel it. I'm Canadian, it's a sixth sense.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Looks cool but personally it's far too late coming. I used to be obsessed with SC and my friends and I used to play it every day for hours. But none of us play PC games anymore, and RTS's like SC and C&C are just fun blasts from the past...

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
Looks like they managed to keep a lot of the game's unique dynamic and steer away from the Warcraft-III-No-More-Making-Mass-Quantities-Of-Units style gameplay in favor of zergling rushes, etc.

I can't wait for this to be out, but knowing Blizzard, it won't be out for a while. A long while. It's such a tease, too, since it looks so far along.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Looks like they managed to keep a lot of the game's unique dynamic and steer away from the Warcraft-III-No-More-Making-Mass-Quantities-Of-Units style gameplay in favor of zergling rushes, etc.

I can't wait for this to be out, but knowing Blizzard, it won't be out for a while. A long while. It's such a tease, too, since it looks so far along.

Actually, I'm fairly sure that game is going to be released on 2008 TOPS with a slight chance of it making the 2007 holiday season/early 2008. It has been in development since the Reign Of Chaos days, that would put the game 5 years in the making and it already looks so polished also Blizzard once stated they don't like to announce games too far from the street date since the whole SC Ghost fiasgo.

I don't think we'll have to wait much for SC2 goodness, worst case scenario we have to wait till Q4 2008 to get our hands on the game which isn't that long away... and that would be worst case scenario anyways...

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
It looks good, I will buy it once it comes out, but I fail to see what they are going to do with the story.

I would have loved to see another race or something so it just doesn't feel like starcraft moved from 2d to 3d

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
Actually, I'm fairly sure that game is going to be released on 2008 TOPS with a slight chance of it making the 2007 holiday season/early 2008. It has been in development since the Reign Of Chaos days, that would put the game 5 years in the making and it already looks so polished also Blizzard once stated they don't like to announce games too far from the street date since the whole SC Ghost fiasgo.

I don't think we'll have to wait much for SC2 goodness, worst case scenario we have to wait till Q4 2008 to get our hands on the game which isn't that long away... and that would be worst case scenario anyways...

I'm glad SC Ghost never happened. So glad.

Winterfell

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Can't wait. I'm completely excited and looking forward to it.

I even bought another copy of StarCraft today (this is what? -- the fourth time? :p) so that I can brush up on my lore and game play skills. :cool:

Shanesan

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
Can't wait. I'm completely excited and looking forward to it.

I even bought another copy of StarCraft today (this is what? -- the fourth time? :p) so that I can brush up on my lore and game play skills. :cool:

Good lord sir. I'll buy it, but I don't know if I'll play it much. The whole "build your army for 30 minutes then kill them in 15 more, cheer, and wipe the board" style game play aggrivates me because all your hard work vaporizes.

Sort of why I stick to Use Map Settings.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
Graphics wise, this is exactly how I thought Blizzard would make StarCraft 2: It looks ridiculously similar to its predecessor, and I'm sure a lot of people loved what they saw. Not that I think the game looks awful, but I personally think Blizzard should've deviated slightly from the original artistic direction.

Somebody made this mockup before the game was announced, and it looks a lot like the real thing: http://capricasix.com/blizz_.jpg

Anyway, I'm looking forward for this game , and hopefully, they include that long awaited Lost Vikings sequel in the StarCraft 2 box, they better!:p :D

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
Graphics wise, this is exactly how I thought Blizzard would make StarCraft 2: It looks ridiculously similar to its predecessor, and I'm sure a lot of people loved what they saw. Not that I think the game looks awful, but I personally think Blizzard should've deviated slightly from the original artistic direction.

There's a few rather large changes from what I noticed, I think it's give a bit more detail where it needs to be, yet looks like it'll keep the same basics- which IMO is perfect.

Did anyone else notice how detailed the planets were in the background when they were showing scenes from the space platform?

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
There's a few rather large changes from what I noticed, I think it's give a bit more detail where it needs to be, yet looks like it'll keep the same basics- which IMO is perfect.
Yes, it's definitely more detailed and better looking than StarCraft 1, and it looks great. I'm just saying that I think they're sticking way too close to the original's artistic direction.

Did anyone else notice how detailed the planets were in the background when they were showing scenes from the space platform?
Oh yes, they look awesome. Reminds me of another game: Empire at War.

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2007
It seems like the original starcraft with major graphics overhaul and new units and abilities to old units. This is good and bad. Good because it is still the same old starcraft (seemingly) and bad because.. it kind of seems like a mega expansion pack not a new Starcraft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.