Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkseven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2007
I was playing WC3:TFT with Windows on my MacBook Pro and since it doesn't support wide screen I went into the registry and changed the reswidth and resheight file to 1440 x 900. Worked perfectly fine and looked great since the image wasn't stretching anymore.

Now that they released the new patch I have basically no need for Windows on my computer and I have removed it already. I forgot to keep one thing in mind when I did though which is, am I able to have the resolution 1440 x 900 for WC3 on Mac? Is there some registry file I can change or what not because I don't really like it when the image is distorted like that...?

Any help appreciated, thanks! (sorry if this a noob question!)

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
darkseven said:
Any help appreciated, thanks! (sorry if this a noob question!)

Yes, this is kinda noob...
Anywasy, the newer updates for WC3 should have widescreen res supported. SO stop messing with important game files and rather just update your warcraft

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
You'll find that WC3 supports all of the widescreen and standard resolutions that come with macs. You'll be able to set it anything from 640x480 to 1680x1080 to (i'm assuming here) 2560x1600 on the big 30 inch ACD's.

So yes, widescreen is selectable from within the WC3 setting panel in the program.

darkseven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2007
You'll find that WC3 supports all of the widescreen and standard resolutions that come with macs. You'll be able to set it anything from 640x480 to 1680x1080 to (i'm assuming here) 2560x1600 on the big 30 inch ACD's.

So yes, widescreen is selectable from within the WC3 setting panel in the program.

Ah, I see. For Windows widescreen wasn't supported unless you messed with registry files, just needed to know if it was supported for Mac since I am not too familiar with that side. Thanks a lot! :)

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Mac or PC you can choose a widescreen res but the image will still be stretched in Warcraft 3... a circle will look like an oval, except that its in native res so it will be sharp looking.

The reason for this is balance.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Exactly. You can pick that massive resolution, but because it lets you see "more" of the playing field, they just upscale a 1024x786 screen.

A little disappointing when I tired this, and it also makes me wonder how Blizzard is going to run Starcraft 2

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Exactly. You can pick that massive resolution, but because it lets you see "more" of the playing field, they just upscale a 1024x786 screen.

A little disappointing when I tired this, and it also makes me wonder how Blizzard is going to run Starcraft 2

Considering Starcraft is even more competitive and popular as an e-sport than Warcraft 3 and even more so considering Blizzard is playing it so ******* safe with Starcraft 2 for the sake of not ruining the balanced gameplay (they even tout "tightly balanced competitive gameplay" as a feature) that I'm 99% sure Starcraft 2 will be a 4:3 only game, 16:9 players would have a big advantage and Blizzard doesn't want to take the slightest friggin risk in SC2, I'm surprised they are even adding new units at all god forbid Starcraft 2 isn't any more than a glorified Starcraft expansion.

Is it possible to letter-box the image, then?

Yes you can if you have an nvidia card, select no scaling on the lcd scaling options on the control panel, set wc3 to the highest 4:3/5:4 resolution it can do and you'll have black borders on the sides but the image will display correctly.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Considering Starcraft is even more competitive and popular as an e-sport than Warcraft 3 and even more so considering Blizzard is playing it so ******* safe with Starcraft 2 for the sake of not ruining the balanced gameplay (they even tout "tightly balanced competitive gameplay" as a feature) that I'm 99% sure Starcraft 2 will be a 4:3 only game, 16:9 players would have a big advantage and Blizzard doesn't want to take the slightest friggin risk in SC2, I'm surprised they are even adding new units at all god forbid Starcraft 2 isn't any more than a glorified Starcraft expansion.

Yes you can if you have an nvidia card, select no scaling on the lcd scaling options on the control panel, set wc3 to the highest 4:3/5:4 resolution it can do and you'll have black borders on the sides but the image will display correctly.

can you do it on OSX?

Will_reed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
Starcraft 2 will most certainly have widescreen support.
Why do I know this? Because the demo video on the site of starcraft 2 gameplay is 16:9 thats why!

zimtheinvader

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2005
the capitol
Widescreen?

Doesn't WoW support widescreen?

Also, maybe it will be a game-by-game MP option, (as one of the options when setting up a game), and support it in single player. If not, that would make a lot of people with nice expensive widescreens sad if such a modern game neglected to "support" their system.
(Add'n rant:) I still don't understand what happend to SC:Ghost, I wish they would revive it eventually as a MMOrpg/FPS like WoW...

Re: the video, the Iphone had TV-out in the last video I saw, but that didn't happen in the consumer build ;)

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Starcraft 2 will most certainly have widescreen support.
Why do I know this? Because the demo video on the site of starcraft 2 gameplay is 16:9 thats why!

So what? Most pro players play at 1024x768 and Starcraft II is a game for the pros (and the korean) not regular gamers...

If widescreen resolutions would give you a bigger field of view then it would give some players unfair advantages.

Its a given fact that Starcraft II will only have on aspect ratio and thats 4:3 because the 4:3 userbase is bigger than the 16:10 userbase and god forbid Starcraft II is the slightest bit imbalanced...

To be honest, most of the hype I had for Starcraft II seems to have died down now whenever Blizzard talks about it it just seems like they are talking about an e-sport and not a game.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007

hey chone. Can you do this in Mac OSX? or it's only for windows?

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
So what? Most pro players play at 1024x768 and Starcraft II is a game for the pros (and the korean) not regular gamers...

If widescreen resolutions would give you a bigger field of view then it would give some players unfair advantages.

Its a given fact that Starcraft II will only have on aspect ratio and thats 4:3 because the 4:3 userbase is bigger than the 16:10 userbase and god forbid Starcraft II is the slightest bit imbalanced...

To be honest, most of the hype I had for Starcraft II seems to have died down now whenever Blizzard talks about it it just seems like they are talking about an e-sport and not a game.
I think it's pretty easy to enforce one aspect ratio during competition, it wouldn't be good sense in the current market to just to make games for the 4:3 ratio, they should be supporting 4:3, 16:9 so on.

Chansey

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2007
I also want to remove the stretching in Mac OS X. I never thought i would be saying this: "I want black bars on the sides!"

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
I never realised that higher resolutions of WarCraft III don't increase the viewable map area. That was one of the things that i was looking forward to the most about upgrading from my 12" PowerBook to a MacBook/Pro! And no widescreen! Grrr! :mad: This better be changed in StarCraft II!

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
I think it's pretty easy to enforce one aspect ratio during competition, it wouldn't be good sense in the current market to just to make games for the 4:3 ratio, they should be supporting 4:3, 16:9 so on.

What about b.net? Do you think we need even more punks whining about imbalance on forums?

Plus many leagues are played online and you really can't control stuff in those cases...

I'm 99.99% sure Starcraft II will be a 4:3/5:4 only game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.