Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
What is the best way to ReFormat my MacBook Pro ?
I currently have 60 GB of Apps and other stuff, and want to
do a clean install of my entire harddrive....

can i just move all my apps over to an external harddrive and then put them back on after my re install ?
Will i have to re type in all the serials for photoshop and dreamweaver, etc....?

cheers, FF

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Boot from the OSX discs and use Disk Utility to reformat your drive. However, why do you want to do this? Reformatting involves erasing everything, so you're kinda just asking for trouble.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Some apps, mostly small and simple ones, can be moved and replaced. Some require re-serializing or reinstallation from the original disks.
Some will not work if you don't know all of the locations that they store necessary Library items, authorization files, support files etc. and you fail to bring over the right components.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
Not knowing why you want/need to reformat, but suggest you try Archive & Install (and click on "save user preferences" - or whatever it actually says)-- that will preserve your apps, preferences, etc. and you should not have any problems. My understanding is that it is the same as regular formatting, but when you archive, you save your apps etc. Maybe this would do what you want to do?

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
the reason i want to re format my macbook pro, is because
it is running really sluggish as i have installed alot of junk on it
in the last 14 months!

my main concern is CS3, Capture One Pro, Dreamweaver, Transmit, and a few other apps. Do i need the original DMG install file to re install ?

than ks

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, you need OSX discs.

Not knowing why you want/need to reformat, but suggest you try Archive & Install (and click on "save user preferences" - or whatever it actually says)-- that will preserve your apps, preferences, etc. and you should not have any problems. My understanding is that it is the same as regular formatting, but when you archive, you save your apps etc. Maybe this would do what you want to do?

Apple has an article on the Archive & Install. It doesn't reformat your drive. It installs a new system which replaces your old system files, but leaves your personal files and settings untouched. :)

DieboldM

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2009
Reformatting Macbook Pro

Hey, I know it seems pretty simple to reformat, but I put in my Leopard disk and attempt the boot from disk and my disk will not let me install the OS. Am I doing something wrong? Can someone please help...

Also Im attempting to wipe everything off my drive and start fresh if that matters....

jlynn628

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
similar issue

I am also having a similar problem. My MBP is running slow and sluggish. It was bought in april 2007 and has been a great machine. I remember when it took less than 45 seconds to start up. But now after 2 1/2 years and lots of extra software and assorted junk it is slow.

I also have thought to reformat and start fresh but also am concerned about adobe CS3. I do have the original disks and serial numbers and all that stuff but have already installed it on a 2nd computer and am wondering if I will have trouble reinstalling on my MBP. If I remember correctly Adobe CS3 can only be installed on 2 computers correct?

jlynn628

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
Why? Erasing everything and then putting it all back will get you exactly where you are right now.

Do you have a problem? If so ask about how to fix it.​

I can't speak for the person who started this thread. However, I do not intend to put back all that I erase, only the main software that I use now and the current files that I am working with.

Over the years I have installed a ton of programs, many of which were not really what I was looking for and don't use or even remember what they do. Also, I have changed many settings in all programs and OS. This was my first mac and I still don't fully understand all the settings or how to restore to the original state.

I could ask how can I improve my MBP's speed or something similar however it is a vague question and would take all day to list all of the possible factors for the loss in speed.

My question is- for the software that has been installed and that I would like to reinstall

Adobe CS3 master collection
Final Cut hd
Microsoft office 2004
Visual Hub - (no longer available so I am very concerned)

This may seem like a silly question, but when the software is registered, the serial number for the computer is registered right? so that as long as i am reinstalling on the same computer I will not have a problem right?

Terrifiedz

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2010
Like... do you have a simple solution?

Wow... why do everybody have that problem...Ok me too =.= Does anyone have a simple solution of just reformatting a MBP so that it goes back to its factory settings without all the apps and add-ons and blahs ?:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.