Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
wow

Female hammerhead sharks can reproduce without having sex, scientists confirm.

The evidence comes from a shark at Henry Doorly Zoo in Nebraska which gave birth to a pup in 2001 despite having had no contact with a male.

Genetic tests by a team from Belfast, Nebraska and Florida prove conclusively the young animal possessed no paternal DNA, Biology Letters journal reports.

The type of reproduction exhibited had been seen before in bony fish but never in cartilaginous fish such as sharks.

Parthenogenesis, as this type of reproduction is known, occurs when an egg cell is triggered to develop as an embryo without the addition of any genetic material from a male sperm cell.

...More...

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6681793.stm

Nature finds a way.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
"nature finds a way"

ahhhh, memories of Jurassic Park. and indeed its true. :D
the adaptability of some species is just amazing.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I love sharks!
They're incredible creatures, and they've just got even better!!

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I love sharks!
They're incredible creatures, and they've just got even better!!

Its not a good thing though as the article suggests. Its a bit like inbreeding and so the qualities of the animal will diminish. I.e. its ability to destroy new viruses etc.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Sharks are amazing. As I understand it, over millions of years they've evolved very little (especially in the case of great whites) because they're already so efficient as is.

edit: It does suggest a possible weakening of the offspring produced in this way but it's a fascinating development none the less.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Its not a good thing though as the article suggests. Its a bit like inbreeding and so the qualities of the animal will diminish. I.e. its ability to destroy new viruses etc.

very true, but however, it gives the species a greater survival rate though. say one lone female reproduces, gives the offspring a chance to find a male when the mother couldn't.

and well lets not forget that sharks are one of the oldest species on this planet.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004

They've done well so far though, haven't they. I guess thay haven't just developed this ability...

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
very true, but however, it gives the species a greater survival rate though. say one lone female reproduces, gives the offspring a chance to find a male when the mother couldn't.

So now you have a young male, and an (older) female, swimming all alone together. What happens next? :rolleyes:

One other point: They said if the mother was genetic code AB, then the fatherless male would be either AA or BB (that's how I read it.)

If it was AA and they both mated again, then the result would be either AA again or AB again.

So any grandchild would be a clone of either the father or the mother (who would also be the grandmother:) ). Is that right or am I oversimplifying it?

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
So now you have a young male, and an (older) female, swimming all alone together. What happens next? :rolleyes:

One other point: They said if the mother was genetic code AB, then the offspring would be either AA or BB (that's how I read it.)

If it was AA and they both mated again, then the result would be either AA again or AB again.

So any grandchild would be a clone of either the father or the mother (who would also be the grandmother:) ). Is that right or am I oversimplifying it?

Your overcomplicating it... the baby is dead! :p

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
Sharks are amazing. As I understand it, over millions of years they've evolved very little (especially in the case of great whites) because they're already so efficient as is.
Maybe now we know why they have changed so little.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006

edit: It does suggest a possible weakening of the offspring produced in this way but it's a fascinating development none the less.

They also have their own 'cure' for cancer too. They tan like ourselves to avoid damage from the sun. :eek:

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I think a few years ago, some scientists managed to get a mouse egg to fertilize itself, but that's a bit different.

Now, who wants to help me nail this new shark to a cross? :D
Hoo boy, I'm gonna pay for that one...

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
Yea, if it can reproduce itself, there is not going to be much genetic variation and as a result if this was to happen a lot then problems could occur.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
I think a few years ago, some scientists managed to get a mouse egg to fertilize itself, but that's a bit different.

Now, who wants to help me nail this new shark to a cross? :D
Hoo boy, I'm gonna pay for that one...

mouse lay eggs?

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
sorry, i was thinking with a hardshell.

I had always remembered that 99% of mammals give live birth.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
Not to be anal, but the Immaculate Conception refers to Mary's conception, that is a conceptioin without the stain of original sin, not Jesus'. So yes, the shark could be a new Jesus, but I'm afraid it was no Immaculate Conception, at least by strict definitions. :p ;)

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Not to be anal, but the Immaculate Conception refers to Mary's conception, that is a conceptioin without the stain of original sin, not Jesus'. So yes, the shark could be a new Jesus, but I'm afraid it was no Immaculate Conception, at least by strict definitions. :p ;)

My understanding is that original sin does not apply to animals, so it was indeed an Immaculate Conception of Shark.

(I can't believe I'm having this conversation..)

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
My understanding is that original sin does not apply to animals, so it was indeed an Immaculate Conception of Shark.

(I can't believe I'm having this conversation..)

I guess technically that is correct, but then again, why would you title a thread with something so commonplace?

(Neither can I.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.