Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26, 2007, 06:27 PM   #1
WRXHokie
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Jersey
UML diagram maker app

Can anyone point me to a good UML diagram maker for the Mac?
WRXHokie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 07:03 PM   #2
therevolution
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2003
I don't personally do any UML creation, but I think OmniGraffle is the obvious suggestion.

This list might be useful.
therevolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 07:05 PM   #3
mags631
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
ArgoUML?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXHokie View Post
Can anyone point me to a good UML diagram maker for the Mac?
I hesitate to suggest this because I have only just started to use this application, but if you don't get any good suggestions, you may want to look at ArgoUML. It requires Java, but it is free and seems half-decent (so far).

http://argouml.tigris.org
mags631 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 07:24 PM   #4
cube
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: May 2004
QuickUML for just UML modeling, but I prefer MacA&D because it supports a lot of other methods and they can be mixed.
I also like starting the data dictionary with QuickCRC.
If you want to reverse engineer, you can use MacTranslator.

http://www.excelsoftware.com/
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 02:08 PM   #5
WRXHokie
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Jersey
Any free UML tools?
WRXHokie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 02:34 PM   #6
MacDonaldsd
macrumors 65816
 
MacDonaldsd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London , UK
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/

I used that for my UML diagrams I did last year.

The free version only allows you to have 1 uml diagram open at a time though, I think.
MacDonaldsd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 04:11 PM   #7
cube
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDonaldsd View Post
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/

I used that for my UML diagrams I did last year.

The free version only allows you to have 1 uml diagram open at a time though, I think.
That is free only for non-commercial use.

The free version also does not do code generation, reverse or round-trip engineering.
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 05:58 PM   #8
Legolamb
macrumors 6502a
 
Legolamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: North of where I'd like to be
Quote:
Originally Posted by therevolution View Post
I don't personally do any UML creation, but I think OmniGraffle is the obvious suggestion.

This list might be useful.
I agree. And even the free version bundled with the OS was just perfect for my little project.
Legolamb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 06:01 PM   #9
cube
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: May 2004
But UML should be done with a real modeling tool, not some drawing program.
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 06:38 PM   #10
Legolamb
macrumors 6502a
 
Legolamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: North of where I'd like to be
Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
But UML should be done with a real modeling tool, not some drawing program.
What do the "real" tools have that OmniGraffle's UML Palette does not? Beside the User, State, and Objects elements, what else do I need? Don't yell , I'm a noobie UML-er, so just asking.
Legolamb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 06:56 PM   #11
cube
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: May 2004
A UML modeling tool knows the semantics of the diagram, so you have dialogs for the attributes and operations, knows about inheritance, etc.
It can use this knowledge to generate code relatively easily.
Some tools also allow you to export to XMI for example, so that you might import them in another vendor's tool should you decide to change for some reason (and don't think that's a remote possibility, all CASE tools have their pros and cons). Some might not have XMI but their own XML format so it would be always possible to convert by yourself,maybe using XSLT.
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 07:02 PM   #12
Legolamb
macrumors 6502a
 
Legolamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: North of where I'd like to be
Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
A UML modeling tool knows the semantics of the diagram, so you have dialogs for the attributes and operations, knows about inheritance, etc.
It can use this knowledge to generate code relatively easily.
Some tools also allow you to export to XMI for example, so that you might import them in another vendor's tool should you decide to change for some reason (and don't think that's a remote possibility, all CASE tools have their pros and cons). Some might not have XMI but their own XML format so it would be always possible to convert by yourself,maybe using XSLT.
Got it. Thanks a lot. (Gotta love MR experts)
Legolamb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 07:12 PM   #13
cube
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: May 2004
What programming language are you using?
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 07:18 PM   #14
Legolamb
macrumors 6502a
 
Legolamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: North of where I'd like to be
Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
What programming language are you using?
I'm teaching myself Objective-C. But I used UML for a pretty high level description of a data management system I'm building. The function of learning UML was to better converse with the programmers who eventually would do the coding.
Legolamb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 07:33 PM   #15
cube
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: May 2004
This Visual Paradigm looks pretty impressive if you can restrict yourself to UML, at least from their spec sheet:

http://www.visual-paradigm.com/produ...comparison.jsp

It's also quite cheap if you only want a few licenses (ExcelSoftware is extremely cheap for site licenses, but seeing that this Visual Paradigm has XMI, Rose import, etc...).
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 07:45 PM   #16
Legolamb
macrumors 6502a
 
Legolamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: North of where I'd like to be
Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
This Visual Paradigm looks pretty impressive if you can restrict yourself to UML, at least from their spec sheet:

http://www.visual-paradigm.com/produ...comparison.jsp

It's also quite cheap if you only want a few licenses (ExcelSoftware is extremely cheap for site licenses, but seeing that this Visual Paradigm has XMI, Rose import, etc...).
Er, Windows???? I can't speak for the OP, but I'd be more interested in something friendly with Mac rather than working in Boot Camp.
Legolamb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 07:53 PM   #17
cube
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolamb View Post
Er, Windows???? I can't speak for the OP, but I'd be more interested in something friendly with Mac rather than working in Boot Camp.
Didn't see that. I assumed that as someone mentioned it here, there was a Mac version.

So I guess, that for someone wanting Objective-C generation on the Mac, the only answer is ExcelSoftware, unless you are prepared to hack that yourself with some of the open modeling toolkits.
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 07:57 PM   #18
Legolamb
macrumors 6502a
 
Legolamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: North of where I'd like to be
Quote:
Originally Posted by therevolution View Post
.....

This list might be useful.
I guess it's back to the list, OP, although Cube does emphasize the difference between a "diagramming" tool and and "modelling" one.
Legolamb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 08:04 PM   #19
cube
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: May 2004
In "the list", they seem to be modeling, not drawing, tools in general. I was only referring to OmniGraffle.
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 08:19 PM   #20
cube
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: May 2004
Looking for something free, I would try to go for Eclipse and the EMF.

Here are the things that you could use to set up a toolchain that would allow you to hack your own Objective-C generation (just pick the some free modeler for Mac, I guess Papyrus):

http://www.acceleo.org/pages/additionnal-products/en

Then you write an Objective-C generation module for Acceleo.

Last edited by cube; May 27, 2007 at 08:26 PM.
cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 05:58 PM   #21
macsig
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marina del Rey, CA
If you need something professional my suggestion is Agilian by Visual-paradigm

http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/ag/
__________________
Alla prossima ...
macsig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 08:01 AM   #22
demallien
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Visual Paradigm is absolutely horrible to use - at least the version from about a year ago was, we use it at my work :-( (well, when I say 'we', I mean the company that I work for - personally I've decided that modelling should only be done when you're having problems putting together a system conceptually yourself....)

On the other hand, I found that Poseidon is a good program. It's been developed from ArgoUML, but is way more polished. They offer a free version which is crippled in a couple of minor ways (like round-trip engineering only works for Java in the trial version). But that would be my recommendation, Poseidon.
demallien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 07:35 PM   #23
macsig
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marina del Rey, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by demallien View Post
Visual Paradigm is absolutely horrible to use - at least the version from about a year ago was, we use it at my work :-( (well, when I say 'we', I mean the company that I work for - personally I've decided that modelling should only be done when you're having problems putting together a system conceptually yourself....)

On the other hand, I found that Poseidon is a good program. It's been developed from ArgoUML, but is way more polished. They offer a free version which is crippled in a couple of minor ways (like round-trip engineering only works for Java in the trial version). But that would be my recommendation, Poseidon.

Poseidon is sucks
__________________
Alla prossima ...
macsig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:06 PM   #24
Great Dave
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
You might try out Java Studio Enterprise 8.1 or Netbeans 6. Netbeans 6 has pretty much superseded JSE anyway.

Code generation, Reverse engineering, and UML 2.0 compliance are a few great features.

I think the code generation and reverse engineering features are only available for Java right now, but I think they are planning on adding support for other languages, too - C++, scripting, etc. I don't know if that is planned for before the release of NB 6 or after.

It's free, too!
Great Dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 01:09 PM   #25
macsig
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marina del Rey, CA
NB 6 is a great product
__________________
Alla prossima ...
macsig is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is a good UML/Mindmap app for planning out web and mobile programming? Dolorian Mac Applications and Mac App Store 6 Mar 25, 2014 01:31 PM
Cubetto UML: UML Modeling with Automated Layout on iPad johannesb iPad Apps 2 Sep 10, 2013 07:40 AM
I Need a Diagram Graphics App for Mac Tissue Paper Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Apr 4, 2013 07:35 PM
Draw diagram effortlessly using Lekh Diagram rajeevk iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Mar 8, 2013 09:04 AM
Could've built an app maker by hand. moonman239 iPhone/iPad Programming 5 Jan 6, 2013 05:00 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC