Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jun 1, 2007, 06:10 PM   #1
jnagel
macrumors newbie

Smart Playlist ideas

I've been thinking about some additions I'd like to make to my collection of smart playlists lately, and I've run into a wall implementing them.

1) I'd like to be able to use either a smart playlist or applescript to collect my top albums (by playcount); I'm pretty confident that this cannot be done using smart playlists alone, and I have VERY limited applescript experience.

2) Is there anyway to make a playlist like "Top 25 Songs of 2006", by playcount? I know that I can make a smart playlist that will tell me the top rated songs that I played between such and such date, but that just uses the overall playcounts. I want to know how many times I played "Funeral" by Arcade Fire between Jan 1 and Dec 31, 2006. My guess is that iTunes does not track this but I was wondering if there was a way I could implement it for future use.
jnagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2007, 06:17 PM   #2
Mitthrawnuruodo

1) You can use iTunes Statistician to find your top rated albums, and double-clicking any song, artist or album will (open iTunes and) play your selection...

2) Have no idea...
Old Jun 1, 2007, 06:21 PM   #3
swiftaw
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnagel View Post

2) Is there anyway to make a playlist like "Top 25 Songs of 2006", by playcount? I know that I can make a smart playlist that will tell me the top rated songs that I played between such and such date, but that just uses the overall playcounts. I want to know how many times I played "Funeral" by Arcade Fire between Jan 1 and Dec 31, 2006. My guess is that iTunes does not track this but I was wondering if there was a way I could implement it for future use.
I'm pretty sure iTunes only stores the last time the song was played, so this probably isn't possible.
swiftaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2007, 07:54 PM   #4
jnagel
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftaw View Post
I'm pretty sure iTunes only stores the last time the song was played, so this probably isn't possible.
Yeah that's what I figured; I suppose there is a way I can track that from outside iTunes but I guess its not important enough to be worth it to me.
jnagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:09 PM   #5
keyshawn
macrumors member

#2 - That is a really cool idea. I would like to see something like this as well.

You could make a smart playlist that would see what songs you played the most in 2006, but it would be limited to songs added after Jan. 1, 2006.

Last edited by keyshawn; Jun 9, 2007 at 10:11 PM. Reason: clarification
keyshawn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod