Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Old Jun 9, 2007, 09:05 AM   #1
ashley-wa
macrumors newbie

Virtual Boy Advance and ROMs

I've left this thread due to the fact that the question on this thread was not eligible for this forum. Thanks.

Last edited by ashley-wa; Jun 9, 2007 at 11:43 AM. Reason: I've left this thread due to the fact that the question on this thread was not eligible for this forum.
ashley-wa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 09:34 AM   #2
psychofreak
Retired

It is illegal, and we can't discuss it here...
psychofreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:46 AM   #3
Dagless
macrumors Core

Hey does anyone know where I can download OSX Tiger for free?

OH wait it's illegal.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:42 AM   #4
ashley-wa
macrumors newbie

I understand that its illegal. If you are going to be sarcastic then don't waste my time thanks. I have seen other threads that have people discussing emulators and emulator games. Thank you for notifying me that it isn't allowed to be discussed. I didn't realize that it wasn't a discussable matter. I judged the content of other posts before posting this. If it is becoming a problem I would suggest that there shouldn't be other threads to mislead people who are new to the forum. Thanks for taking the time to post. I'm leaving this thread.
ashley-wa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:44 AM   #5
psychofreak
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley-wa View Post
I understand that its illegal. If you are going to be sarcastic then don't waste my time thanks. I have seen other threads that have people discussing emulators and emulator games. Thank you for notifying me that it isn't allowed to be discussed. I didn't realize that it wasn't a discussable matter. I judged the content of other posts before posting this. If it is becoming a problem I would suggest that there shouldn't be other threads to mislead people who are new to the forum. Thanks for taking the time to post. I'm leaving this thread.
Before you do, show me ONE non-wastelanded thread where illegal links are given please...
psychofreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:39 PM   #6
Dagless
macrumors Core

For further reading - http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp. We're a very big forum, of course you'll get emulation talk on smaller forums. I doubt the admins want this place being sued or whatever
Old Jun 9, 2007, 01:21 PM   #7
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley-wa View Post
I've left this thread due to the fact that the question on this thread was not eligible for this forum. Thanks.
Ashley; just so you know the legal status, I'll fill you in.

Emulators are legal. You are emulating existing hardware. No violation of copyright.

Roms are legal; the law permits you to back up things you own.

However, the same law that permits you to back up things you own prohibits you from transferring that backup to anyone else. Thus, it is illegal to download roms off the internet. You can buy the equipment and rip roms yourself legally as I do, or you can go download them illegally and not tell anyone, but it is against the terms of service to link to a site that distributes Roms illegally on Macrumors.

ESA, the ones that sue the rom sites, has a FAQ on their website.

Read this chunk:
Quote:
Isn’t it legal to copy video and computer games as a backup as long as you own a legitimate copy?

U.S. Copyright laws permit making a "backup" copy of computer programs for archival purposes. However, the right to make backup copies of computer programs for archival purposes, as embodied in 17 U.S.C. Section 117(2), does not in any way authorize the owner of a copy of a video or computer game to post or download a copy of that game to or from the Internet or make such copy available to other people for their use. Section 117(2) only gives the owner of the copy a right to make an archival copy of the actual copy that he/she legally possesses, not to make a copy of the ROM that someone else legally possesses, nor to post an archival copy of his/her original copy for distribution. The law clearly does NOT provide any right to sell "backup" copies. In fact, Section 117 is quite explicit in stating that any archival copy prepared under Section 117(2) can only be transferred to another person if, and only if: A) The original copy is also transferred, and only with the authorization of the copyright owner, and B) The transfer is part of the sale of all rights in the program.
http://www.theesa.com/ip/anti_piracy_faq.php

I like the ESA a lot better than the RIAA, as they don't sue individuals, just the sites hosting.
16 GB iPhone
GFLPraxis is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games