Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhoneChat is the latest iPhone-aimed web applications that we should expect to come out for Apple's iPhone.

iPhoneChat allows you to log into your iChat/AIM instant messaging account with buddy list support.
Use your mouse to flick (drag and release) your buddy list up and down like you're supposed to on the iPhone. Click a buddy to start a conversation. You can open multiple conversations... flick left/right to change conversations.

As an early version, it has some limitations, but does offer an good example of what might be possible with iPhone web-apps.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
and 10 minute limits .. this is nice, but its ridicules that apple wont allow full apps to be developed for the iphone. i surely hope they do, eventually.

FeralCat

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
Looks like a great way to get your account password stolen.

Exactly. This app should be opensourced so you can throw it on your own server somewhere so that you'd be sure it wasn't being logged or that your account info wasn't being "backed up" for you.

Ha ze

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
does anyone have an idea why Apple would want to leave this service off their phone?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
does anyone have an idea why Apple would want to leave this service off their phone?

It's a bit of a battery drain... at least it is on the Treo - to run an AIM chat application.

arn

Ha ze

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
Hmm... that may be, but it seems that just about everyphone can do this, then again about every phone can MMS message too

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
How about...

Exactly. This app should be opensourced so you can throw it on your own server somewhere so that you'd be sure it wasn't being logged or that your account info wasn't being "backed up" for you.

What would really make this AJAX model more acceptable:

1. Add a "Widgets" area on the iPhone. Let application bookmarks appear as iPhone icons. Open Safari in a full screen mode so the apps run more seamlessly.

2. Offer an easy way to "install" applications to a .Mac account - let it host Ruby on Rails or WebObjects based applications. Then you could install things like this and be assured of security.

MukelG

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
So.. I just throw the entire folder [with the 2 containing folders] onto my webserver and im set?

joeconvert

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2003
TX
just speculation - it might have been a concession to AT&T to force us to use SMS = to buy SMS texts in bulk. Or does SMS come free with the data plan?

Doesn't hold water. Cingular is distributing a Windows Mobile app for the Treos that use data.

Random Ping

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2007

There was a recent article in the Wall Street Journal that might explain it. It was not about the iPhone but about how the wireless carriers actively block cellphone manufacturers from including features in their phones. Some of the points mentioned in the article:

• AT&T blocked RIM from offering mapping software on its BlackBerry; AT&T wanted to charge users for its own map service.
  • AT&T blocked RIM from including games on its BlackBerry; AT&T forced users to buy it from AT&T's online store.
  • Sprint Nextel Corp blocked RIM from adding free local search services on its BlackBerry; Sprint already had a local search service that it charged users for.
  • "Carriers have so far largely refused to sell WiFi phones for mainstream cellphone and smart-phone users" for fear that users would bypass their own networks. (imagine Skype on an iPhone).

After reading this article ("A Fight Over What You Can Do on a Cellphone", June 14), I am not surprised Apple isn't offering an SDK. The wireless carriers generally want to force users to buy applications and services through them.

Random Ping

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2007
Sucks that the camera faces away from the user.

I wonder how much it would cost Apple to include a second lens facing the user but using all the same circuitry (i.e., one camera, two lens)? That way you could use it as a traditional camera or as a video chat service.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I wonder how much it would cost Apple to include a second lens facing the user but using all the same circuitry (i.e., one camera, two lens)? That way you could use it as a traditional camera or as a video chat service.

or make it so it can slip/turn around. i imagine that would cost a hell of a lot more tho :(

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
does this not work for anyone else? i tried to login and the name and password just went away without it logging in at all:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.