Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
I know that if you don't finish by the deadline date Standford won't be able to use it for the project, so I was wondering if there was any point in helping with the project if our computer isn't fast enough to finish by the deadline?

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
Depends.... stanford can't use the results, but if your folding to be part of Mac Rumors team folding, then we still get the points towards our total to move p the rankings and fight off the knights that say ni! I'm in the same vote...my computer misses the deadline by about a month or so each time :(

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I got a pretty large deadline for my current WU... 50 days... from about five or six ago... it's half done...

what kinda computers you guys trying to run?

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
I'm just running a p1 200.....its all i got :( its slow as hell but at least its something. been folding since he beginning of this year and only have 7 units done

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Originally posted by dstorey
I'm just running a p1 200.....its all i got :( its slow as hell but at least its something. been folding since he beginning of this year and only have 7 units done

:) keep chuggin away! at least you try

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
just wait till i get that 9900 25 ghz in 2008...or failing that a 2 gig duelie ;) if i ever get a job...

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
Thanks for your replies :)
I'm running a PowerBook G3, 333, so I probably won't be able to finish by my deadline either, but I'll be getting a new laptop hopefully in a month or two, so that should be helpful.

pfranzen

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
London
Im donating my DP800 to the team...

I was going to sell it when my DP2 G5 arrives but Im gonna keep the G4 in a closet to fold :)

Im also scouring work to find all the suitable Macs to help in the effort...

The more the better I say...keep folding!

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I just started folding on July 1st for the MacRumors team and so far I have contributed 17 WUs (706 points). I am using my three P4 2GHz machines. I don't have a Mac yet, but I will be getting an updated 12" PowerBook (hopefully 1GHz), and a G5 XServe when they become available.

I see how many points I have contributed in the past week and the number of team members we have folding, and I think that our output should be much, much higher. I wish we could convice all of the team member to start up their folding clients and donate their CPU cycles to a good cause.

Maybe a link on the main page to the folding site would help. Possibly, a folding team theme song.

Everyone start folding!

Hickman

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by Brian Hickman
I just started folding on July 1st for the MacRumors team and so far I have contributed 17 WUs (706 points).

/me cries.

My production is SO SO SO SLOW compared to that with my G4 733 MHZ machine... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.