Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

K.B.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2003
East Coast
I watched the Keynote and was damn pleased to see Steve stand up there and say how the Dual G5 kicked the crap out of the Intel machines.

I thought for once Apple was going to go to the mat and compete on speed or at least kick the crap out of the megahertz myth.

As was predictable the following day MANY people came out to poo-poo the benchmarks, the demonstrations,ect as always happens.

"oh, that's not in real world applications.."
"that's just in Photoshop filters... "
"they didn't use the latest wintel machine."
"they disabled the wintel machine so it couldn't do..."

Right?

It happens every time.

So the following day, here comes the onslaught of crap and the response from Apple is....

Silence.

If I knew it was coming you can not tell me that someone at Apple didn't know it was coming and could have been ready for it or at least mentioned it when the tests were happening and all that--- come on.

What about IBM. Big Blue. Mister R&D. where were they? Where were they saying "ah, blow it out your ass and run back to your master under the earth, weasel!" to these people and back it up with numbers and scientists??????

Why weren't all the benchmarking and tests bulletproof or at least as close as you can get??

I know all the computer companies and chip makers fiddle around with test results spinning them into the best light but Apple needs to make a claim and back it up if they want to shut the mouths of the Intel minions....

So now it's a while later and more and more people are p*ssing on the G5's speed and all that and still--- nothing.

What gives? As I said, If I can know this is going to happen why doesn't someone at Apple be ready for it?

HUH????

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Some people are just insecure, I think that the G5's are going to be great, I don't think that all these people ranting and raving that these G5's are slow know what they are talking about. :rolleyes:

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I know how you feel K.B.

But patience is a virtue.
Let the whiners whine a little and wait for some "real" benchmarking tests by third parties.
If Apple were to counter their arguments, it would only put more oil on the fire.... I think we will be able to find countless speed benchmarks and comparisons by the end of September.
Dual 2 GHz G5 vs. 3.2 Ghz P4 with AND without hyperthreading, running all of our favourite apps.

Das

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
Of course Apple more than likely fiddled with a few tests to make the G5 shine. Who cares? ATI did it with their 8500 QIII scam, Nvidia did it with their Futuremark hack, I mean, what can they say? In some tests the G5 will excel and in some case it might falter a little. If they responded to every doubt or conflicting test case, they'd never be done with it because they'd just argue all day.

In short, it's better for them to sit quiet and not draw any attention to the naysayers. Why elevate them from the backwoods of the internet to near media status?

K.B.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2003
East Coast
I just find this annoying because it happens every time....

GRANTED this was just the product announcement and the machines aren't going to hit the public till the fall and in that time we can hope that Apple prepares an ad campaign that we would all like to see them do.

Start competing for the switchers.

Start competing in the megahertz arena.

We all know these 15 GHz processors (or whatever is the latest Intel fantasy chip) aren't giving the kind of speed the people are made to think they are getting by falling into the megahertz myth------

Start kicking in the doors and dragging people into the light....

geez.

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
I don't know one company to not cheat on benchmarks. And frankly benchmarks mean diddily unless you have a way to utilize those benchmarks. A PC could have higher benchmarks than a Mac, but all that's mean is that the PC can crash faster.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
If any of Apple's claims were blatantly fabricated or absolutely untrue they would be sued, at least in the overly litigious U.S.A..I can't remember what computer it was, but I remember getting a 20-dollar check in the mail for a class action suite. The company misrepresented the clock speed of the laptop and I somehow ended up with a tiny check. Go figure. This also happed to Kia. They accidentally misprinted their MPG on one model. As a settlement Kia extended the vehicles warrenty and offered long term road side assistance.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
honestly i dont think the extra 140mhz would help the intels that much in that benchmark. i am more curious to see these against amd athlons and opterons.

iJon

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Re: RANT- Why doesn't Apple go to the mat or at least be ready for BS??

Originally posted by K.B.
So the following day, here comes the onslaught of crap and the response from Apple is....

Silence.

If I knew it was coming you can not tell me that someone at Apple didn't know it was coming and could have been ready for it or at least mentioned it when the tests were happening and all that--- come on.
uhh...get used to it. do you see any other company bitching about people who think that their products are crap?
It always happens. big deal. just ignore them. nobody cares.

macrants

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2003
Apple fan, but skeptical...

I'm a little uncomfortable that Apple felt the need to sink to the level of companies like ATI, Radeon, and Intel in fudging the numbers to make their benchmarks look better.
How about this pitch:
"We built a computer that crunches numbers as fast or faster than the top PC's, but we build software that crunches PC's."
Or something like that, work with me here.
I agree with Schiffi. The numbers mean less than what it does, and all I care about is how much faster it is than a G4.
CAN I GET AN AMEN?

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
From what I gather it happened the other way around.

Apple released the benchmarks, Intel disputed them, Apple responded to Intel neatly and Intel shut up.

The G5 isn't even available yet. When it is, we'll get our hands on the real benchmarks and be able to do some real world Mac-to-PC comparisons that haven't been seen in years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.