Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:16 AM   #1
Luigi239
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Luigi239
Ubuntu on Macbook...Can it overheat, damaging the internal components?

Hello all, first I know this isn't a Linux form, and there is not a linux forum, but thought this would be the best place to put this, because I supose it applies to windows as well.

Anyway, I have a CD rev A Macbook, that I just installed Ubuntu with. I love it, but I am afraid one day it will overheat and cause my processor to melt. Is that possible? I have heard that if it gets to hot, that the thing will just shut off, but I don't want to take any chances. So, do you think it is safe to run Ubuntu? Will it kill my components?

Thanks
Luigi239 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:31 AM   #2
TBi
macrumors 68030

The fan in your laptop is controlled by the firmware so there is no* way that ubuntu can cause your laptop to over heat.

*Unless of course you do something really stupid like tell linux to start overriding the firmware in relation to fan speed. However you'd have to be a really advanced user to know how to do this and more than likely an advanced user would already know the answer to the overheating question
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:33 AM   #3
Luigi239
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Luigi239
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBi View Post
The fan in your laptop is controlled by the firmware so there is no* way that ubuntu can cause your laptop to over heat.

*Unless of course you do something really stupid like tell linux to start overriding the firmware in relation to fan speed. However you'd have to be a really advanced user to know how to do this and more than likely an advanced user would already know the answer to the overheating question
Ok, great, thanks.

However, it does seem to get hotter while in Ubuntu. Do you think it would be a bad thing to set the min. fan speed to something around 3000rpm?
Luigi239 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2009, 10:07 AM   #4
GlitteringLynx
macrumors newbie

By all means

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi239 View Post
Ok, great, thanks.

However, it does seem to get hotter while in Ubuntu. Do you think it would be a bad thing to set the min. fan speed to something around 3000rpm?
The only reason why you might want to let the computer control the fans is to save power. If you're connected to an external power source feel free to up the minimum speed. Just remember that others can hear it too
GlitteringLynx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2009, 01:27 PM   #5
MAG.
macrumors member

Don't worry about it. The fan is controlled by the BIOS not the OS. There is no way Ubuntu will make your computer overheat.
MAG. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:08 PM   #6
bradenwh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG. View Post
Don't worry about it. The fan is controlled by the BIOS not the OS. There is no way Ubuntu will make your computer overheat.
BIOS? On a Mac? Since when?
bradenwh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac