Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:28 PM   #1
bbarnhart
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to bbarnhart
It can't be that hard: NSData & NSString

I've resurrected an old Cocoa project and after making some additions I'm still stuck on something that caused me to stop in the first place. I'm still learning Cocoa so I may not quite "get it" yet, but this can't be that hard.

I've got a xml file I want to upload to my web server. I want to add some data before the xml data. Basically, my url looks like this:

http://../myphp.php?type=Put&file=xxx.xml&data=<xmldata here>

So, I've tried building an NSString to put "type=Put&file=xxx.xml&data=" and then copy that into an NSMutableData object. Then I add the xml to the NSMutableData. I had it "working" once, but then it failed with a different xml file.

Am I making a mistake with Unicode or am I not understanding fully how NSString and NSMutableData works? Any help would be appreciated!

Code:
- (void) makeXML
{
  NSXMLDocument* xmlDoc = [[NSXMLDocument alloc] initWithRootElement:root];
  NSData *xmlData = [xmlDoc XMLDataWithOptions:NSXMLNodePrettyPrint];

[xmlData writeToFile:@"/Users/b...barnhart/Temp/hello.xml" atomically:YES];

[self uploadTest: xmlData];

return TRUE;
}

- (void) uploadTest: (NSData*) data
{
  NSURL* webServiceURL = [NSURL URLWithString:@"http://.../~b...barnhart/.../xxxxxx.php"];
  NSMutableURLRequest* urlRequest = [NSMutableURLRequest requestWithURL:webServiceURL];

NSString* str = @"type=Put&filename=xxx.xml&data=";
  const char* utf_str = [str UTF8String];
  NSMutableData* mute_data = [NSMutableData dataWithLength:strlen(utf_str) + [data length]];
  [mute_data appendBytes:utf_str length:strlen(utf_str)];
  [mute_data appendData:data];

... stops working down here, but I think the problem is above

}
bbarnhart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:47 PM   #2
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

The best way to go from NSString to NSData is via NSString's dataUsingEncoding:allowLossyConversion: method, and you usually want NSUTF8StringEncoding as the encoding.
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming