Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
The OpenGL framework appears to be updated according to my system profiler!

I am downloading it now. Still waiting for the Optimizing to finish.

The OpenGL framework update would be great. Comparing xbench benchmarks between my 2.2 MBP and my brothers 2.16 MBP... I beat him on everything except the OpenGL test.

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
The default LCD Color Profile was also updated!

I just switched it from my own calibration and it looks much better than it did with the default color profile that the MBPs (SR) shipped with!

shambolic

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Staten Island, NY
OpenGL/video driver updates are much welcomed - Aperture has been super-crashy for me since upgrading from my old Powerbook to the new MBP, and the crash log pointed to calls in the GeForce OpenGL driver.

Fingers crossed this resolves the issue (and if so, thanks Apple for not forcing us to wait for Leopard).

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
IT's true BS that Apple doesn't provide more information about this update. They must be hiding something....

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
What we know so far:

Update to the OpenGL Framework
Update to the Default Color LCD profile

I am also noticing that my MBP is running quite a bit cooler now as well.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
IT's true BS that Apple doesn't provide more information about this update. They must be hiding something....

I unpacked the update and its just an Nvidia driver and GL engine update. Definitely should be a good thing.

Note: From what I can see, the default LCD profile is not changed.

List of updated files inc...
/System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle
/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGA.plugin
/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceVADriver.bundle
/System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/headers
/usr/libexec/oah/Shims/GLEngine.bundle
/usr/libexec/translate

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
I unpacked the update and its just an Nvidia driver and GL engine update. Definitely should be a good thing.

List of updated files inc...

Yeah, I was wrong about the LCD Profile....

I checked the modify date on mine and it was new, but I forgot I reinstalled the OS...

Sorry!

My MBP is running much cooler now though.

AngelGuy7

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
New York
By any miracle does this fix the yellowing issue? Can someone who has the issue check and report back?

Edit: I saw the updated post that shows what was included in the update. Unless the video card driver had something to do with the yellowing I'm doubtful this update resolved the yellowing issue.

mesonic

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Note: From what I can see, the default LCD profile is not changed.

If I open my Color LCD profile it says "Generated at 28.06.07". Maybe it is updated. And it looks different now. I switched back from my own profile to the default color profile. I think it looks less yellowish. Other opinions?

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
If I open my Color LCD profile it says "Generated at 28.06.07". Maybe it is updated. And it looks different now. I switched back from my own profile to the default color profile. I think it looks less yellowish. Other opinions?

That is what I saw too. I reinstalled the OS so I thought that is why it showed that. Maybe it was updated. I know when I switched back it did look better to me, but that could have just been my own mind playing tricks on me.

katorga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
running cooler?

My MBP seems to be running cooler too. I wonder if they underclocked the GPU or tuned the powermiser settings to lower clockspeed? It seems to be running about 10C cooler since the update?

amitface

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
Florida
My Color LCD doesn't seem to be updated. Looks exactly the same with same creation date.

Also, the bottom yellow tint is still there. I didn't think a software update would fix this anyway :(

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
MacBook Pro Software Update 1.0 Released

Apple has released MacBook Pro Software Update 1.0, which "provides important bug fixes and is recommended for all 2.2/2.4GHz MacBook Pro models."

While Apple does not elaborate on the contents of the update, an analysis of the update package indicates that it contains improvements to the graphics subsystem, with updated nVidia graphics drivers and some updated OpenGL components.

Some initial benchmarks of the updated MacBook Pros had indicated some graphics scores lower than its predecesor. This had been speculated to be caused by faulty graphics drivers. This update would seem to be an attempt at correcting these issues.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
I just checked software updates, nothing there for me.
I have the 2.33 GHz model, I'm not sure if it applies.
Edit: Nvm, I thought it was models 2.2 through 2.4; and not those two exclusively.
I guess I won't get it - but I wanted an update for my MBP! :)

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
GPU powemiser

My MBP seems to be running cooler too. I wonder if they underclocked the GPU or tuned the powermiser settings to lower clockspeed? It seems to be running about 10C cooler since the update?

This is quite possible - it's also great to be able to kick the cores into high gear when necessary through Energy Saver.

MacUser4_20

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2004
California
Worked great on my 17" High Res, uodated fine. My wife's 15" 2.4 LCD pdated and color balance seems much better on it now.... And yes seems to be running cooler with no increase in fan speed!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.