Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Cool

Will eagerly wait to see new benchmarks published in the next couple of days.

pianoman181

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Just installed the update and ran Xbench. This is the 2.4GHz version with 2GB ram 15". I forget what my pre-update numbers were, but here are the graphics related tests:

Quartz Graphics Test 153.69
Line 150.64 10.03 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
Rectangle 190.73 56.94 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
Circle 179.85 14.66 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
Bezier 161.90 4.08 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
Text 112.18 7.02 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test 136.24
Spinning Squares 136.24 172.83 frames/sec
User Interface Test 370.67
Elements 370.67 1.70 Krefresh/sec

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Just installed the update and ran Xbench. This is the 2.4GHz version with 2GB ram 15". I forget what my pre-update numbers were, but here are the graphics related tests:

If you check this review of the 2.4 SR MBP and check the xBench section (half way down the page) it shows insignificant/no improvement. The only improvement was by sub 2 points in the Quartz graphics section. The 2 points are probably just the due to slightly different manufacturing conditions.

shambolic

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Staten Island, NY
Aperture working much better now

Before, when scrolling through photos, or making adjustments to the crop window, would get random crashes like this one, in the GL driver:
Command: Aperture
Path: /Applications/Aperture.app/Contents/MacOS/Aperture
Parent: WindowServer [68]

Version: 1.5.3 (1.5.3)
Build Version: 6
Project Name: Aperture
Source Version: 704050130

PID: 3900
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x8d8ce1c9

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 com.apple.GeForce8xxxGLDriver 0x013e3dc5 gldPageoffBuffer + 136133
1 com.apple.GeForce8xxxGLDriver 0x0146c872 gldPageoffBuffer + 695922
2 com.apple.GeForce8xxxGLDriver 0x0146d0d0 gldPageoffBuffer + 698064

Applied the update, spent the past five or ten minutes stressing Aperture as much as possible, making fine adjustments to the crop window (the most reliable way to crash the application before), and can't make it crash now.

If it's snappier/cooler too, then great, but the difference between fundamentally broken and completely working is the big win with this update for me.

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Before, when scrolling through photos, or making adjustments to the crop window, would get random crashes like this one, in the GL driver:

Applied the update, spent the past five or ten minutes stressing Aperture as much as possible, making fine adjustments to the crop window (the most reliable way to crash the application before), and can't make it crash now.

If it's snappier/cooler too, then great, but the difference between fundamentally broken and completely working is the big win with this update for me.

Good to hear that this update fixed your problems. Hopefully this update was a fix for that sort of problems. I was worried that they were going to underclock the 8600 to lower temps.

marco114

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2001
USA
constant crashing

I have the newest MacBook Pro 2.2ghz LED model and my computer has been crashing a lot with Flash Video. The computer locks up in a very strange way. No kernel panic, no app quits. The cursor goes crazy and then the spinning beach ball and then complete freeze. It takes about 30-60 seconds for the whole process to happen and there is no way to make it stop other than to hold power and restart. I am on my 2nd computer already and the new one does the same thing. Mostly happens on YouTube videos / flash player but happens sparatically in Safari and more so in Firefox. I really hope this helps!

brettanderson

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
I have hardware monitor running on my MBP and the CPU voltage has been lowered. Before the update my machine would idle at 0.79V now it idles at 0.69V. The GPU voltage has not changed. This would explain cooler machines.

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
People saying that it runs cooler...

That's because the fans are kicking in faster again. Before my MBP would get up to 65C while browsing the web without the fans going above 2K rpm. Now they kick in around 53C.

Hmmmm, Apple's trying to fix their thermal paste problems with increased fan action again. What a surprise.

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Well, I'll take an underclocked GPU if it means new drivers make up for the difference in efficiency. <insert blind trust of large corporation here>

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
People saying that it runs cooler...

That's because the fans are kicking in faster again. Before my MBP would get up to 65C while browsing the web without the fans going above 2K rpm. Now they kick in around 53C.

Hmmmm, Apple's trying to fix their thermal paste problems with increased fan action again. What a surprise.

My fans are always at least 1998 RPM. They still are and the computer is still cooler...

ajhaji

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
Installed the update without any problems. No noticeable differences so far. I wonder if this update addresses the flickering issues several users (myself included) have. I guess time will tell.

katorga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
fans stay the same

I don't notice fan speed going over 2000rpm or speeding up at lower temps now, but my machine is running cooler. If the previous post is correct and CPU voltage has been lowered, that would account for it. If they tuned the powermizer 7.0 support in the driver that could account for my much lower GPU temps. (powermizer adjusts the clock speed of the GPU based on powersource and activity).

I use RMclock on my windows laptop to undervolt the CPU to keep the heat down and extend the battery. The same effect should happen here.

I'm pretty darned happy with this update, solved my only gripe about my mbp.

invasian

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Houston
2.2ghz model here...installed without a problem...(although the optimizing part took a while)...and i'll agree with many here...my laptop does feel a bit cooler...mayber 4-5 degrees cooler. Looking at istatpro, my gpu diode temp used to be around 8-10 degrees higher than my cpu, but now it is hovering around 3-6 degrees higher. The cpu temp could be a 2-4 degrees cooler than it usually is. For me, usually it's around 56-60 (with itunes, firefox, adium) during this time (computer has been on 12+ hours continuously) and after this update, the cpu temp is now around 51-53.

Whether it's in my mind or not, I'm very pleased with this update.

kwong2006

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
My MBP appears to be running cooler as well, but I don't know if this is a result of me having the ceiling fan in my room on at full blast. Also, it seems like the processor is really adjusting their clock speeds now. My computer is running at 1.5 GHz right now.

chem

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
For those reporting cooler temps, everyone is talking about idle (or maybe web browsing) temps. What about temps under load? That's the most important thing.

Anyway, good to see that Apple may have at least noticed the issue. Perhaps they improved QC during assembly, too. Fingers crossed.

hooch

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2006
Chicago
Trackpad works better!!

I have the 2.4ghz model and the one problem I have noticed is my pointer would not be responsive when it was not focused and hidden. I think it happened when I use the up/down arrows to scroll (while reading for example) or typing in a text area (like what I am doing now). I would literally move my finger across the trackpad repeatedly to basically unlock the pointer and get motion. It was getting annoying!

Now, it seems to respond immediately. So, this also seems to be fixed too! Horray!

EDIT: Hmm...maybe that isn't fixed. Does anyone else notice if you do <apple>-t in firefox to open a new tab, it takes a few swipes before there is pointer motion??

equis.zero

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I think those reporting differences in the lcd could be right, I noticed after the update when viewing the screen at a bad viewing angle it looks alot less yellow than before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.