Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 29, 2007, 01:25 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone Tips from Pogue's iPhone: The Missing Manual

David Pogue, the New York Times columnist who was one of the journalists who reviewed the iPhone prior to its launch, published a preview of his iPhone: The Missing Manual with some tips and hints for iPhone usage.

Nothing particularly revealing, but of some interest for those waiting around for your iPhones to arrive.
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 02:50 AM   #2
Apple!Fre@k
macrumors 6502

That's a 300 page book and it's coming out in early August. With a minimum 4 month lead time to get the book in to the proper publishing channels, David Pogue must have had an iPhone in his possesion since March! Go, David!
Apple!Fre@k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 03:01 PM   #3
ekeby
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple!Fre@k View Post
That's a 300 page book and it's coming out in early August. With a minimum 4 month lead time to get the book in to the proper publishing channels, David Pogue must have had an iPhone in his possesion since March! Go, David!
not necessarily 4 months . . . (I'm in the biz). Some mass market books have made it to print practically overnight. I suspect Pogue does his in Powerpoint or ID or some other program that facilitates page layout. And he's a seasoned journalist so likely to require little copyediting and far less editorial interference than the average author.
ekeby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 08:28 PM   #4
louden
macrumors 65816

Add to that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekeby View Post
not necessarily 4 months . . . (I'm in the biz). Some mass market books have made it to print practically overnight. I suspect Pogue does his in Powerpoint or ID or some other program that facilitates page layout. And he's a seasoned journalist so likely to require little copyediting and far less editorial interference than the average author.
Those books also contain very little useful information...

Dell Pentium 2 with 500 MB HD Windows 95
Compaq iPaq w/ 64MB of Ram
louden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 08:34 PM   #5
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by louden View Post
Those books also contain very little useful information...
Should I pretend like that's a shock, or keep it real?
Old Jul 1, 2007, 03:20 PM   #6
louden
macrumors 65816

I've got to add something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
Should I pretend like that's a shock, or keep it real?
This makes this whole thing much worse:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/30/te...gy&oref=slogin

The NYTimes will accuse Microsoft and marketers of a conflict of interest, yet see none for David Pogue, his books and his reviews of the iPhone.

Sure, call out MS for anything they do wrong - that's what the press should do. But to write this AND have Pogue's obvious conflict of interest under their noses is extremely hypocritical.

This is scary to me because - I'll admit - I used Pogue's and Mossberg's reviews to sway me to stand in line for an iPhone (which I don't regret) - but the potential for conflict of interest between companies like Apple and the press is frightening. We're talking what will be a billion dollar business! People have been bough off for a hell of lot less and everybody has a price. Who knows what will happen when Apple introduces their "Bob" product?

Dell Pentium 2 with 500 MB HD Windows 95
Compaq iPaq w/ 64MB of Ram
louden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 06:01 PM   #7
SLAPSHOTW
macrumors member

One tip I've found is that if you're in Safari and have scrolled down the page, do a quick tap on the time on the top of the screen to instantly scroll back up and get the address bar.
SLAPSHOTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 06:35 PM   #8
note235
macrumors 6502a

nice

also the mic and its ipod controls
note235 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion