Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After being down for nearly 3 hours, Apple's online store is back up and features the iPhone for sale.

4GB $499: Shipping in 2-4 weeks
8GB $599: Shipping in 2-4 weeks

Apple also published an official guide of accessories for the iPhone. The $129 Bluetooth Headset was not yet available at retail locations. The iPhone also went on sale tonight at 6pm at retail stores across the country to (reportedly) sell out crowds at many locations.

Iniitial impressions are being posted to our forum, but some users have been having activation issues.

macjackpro

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
AppleCare

Finally an answer to my question:

AppleCare Protection Plan
For $69, the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone provides an additional year of hardware repair coverage, including coverage for the iPhone battery.
The AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone will be available in July. Customers can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime during the iPhone one-year limited warranty.

--from apple.com under the warranty tab for iphone

Digitaljim

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Edinburgh, UK

For $69, the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone provides an additional year of hardware repair coverage, including coverage for the iPhone battery.
The AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone will be available in July. Customers can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime during the iPhone one-year limited warranty.

--from apple.com under the warranty tab for iphone

This is reassuring; 1st gen hardware and all.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA

Here is an issue that I don't think many have thought about. If the iPhone doesn't have a user replaceable battery does that mean you have to send the phone back to Apple for a new battery? I guess you will be without a phone for a few days, unless you have a landline. If all you have is a cellphone that would really suck.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
yeah, it was a scene where I bought mine. I am told NY's SoHo Apple store has plenty however. A little tough to type this on my iphone. :)

rocklobzter31

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Down??

When was the apple website down for 3 hours??? But, anyways, this is great!! (Exept for all those who bought an iphone and put it right on ebay. That won't be working too well at this point.)

Though I did see some bids on one for $900 on ebay. WHAT ARE PEOPLE THINKING. Did they not know that apple.com would be selling them:confused:

Mykbibby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
If this is of any interest, I called Apple to ask for clarification on the 2-4 weeks because it was too bad to be true, and I was told that on July 4th, notifications will be sent out to all online buyers telling them the day they will get their iphone. It could be a few days after the fourth, or a few months, depending on when you ordered.

What's going through my head...

IM PISSED RIGHT NOW!!! 2-4 WEEKS!!! THIS IS RIDICULOUS! HOW CAN APPLE ALLOW THIS! WE'VE OVER HALF A YEAR FOR TODAY, NOW WE HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER MONTH!!! COME ON CUPPERTINO!

Weezy

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
If this is of any interest, I called Apple to ask for clarification on the 2-4 weeks because it was too bad to be true, and I was told that on July 4th, notifications will be sent out to all online buyers telling them the day they will get their iphone. It could be a few days after the fourth, or a few months, depending on when you ordered.

What's going through my head...

IM PISSED RIGHT NOW!!! 2-4 WEEKS!!! THIS IS RIDICULOUS! HOW CAN APPLE ALLOW THIS! WE'VE OVER HALF A YEAR FOR TODAY, NOW WE HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER MONTH!!! COME ON CUPPERTINO!

I have the same feeling as well!!
2-4 WEEKS!!!!
but after hearing what you said about the notification thing now im even more pissed!!:mad:

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I have the same feeling as well!!
2-4 WEEKS!!!!
but after hearing what you said about the notification thing now im even more pissed!!:mad:

Now you know why people were waiting in line 24hrs plus. And so many people were critizing them earlier today :confused:

joeconvert

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2003
TX
Here is an issue that I don't think many have thought about. If the iPhone doesn't have a user replaceable battery does that mean you have to send the phone back to Apple for a new battery? I guess you will be without a phone for a few days, unless you have a landline. If all you have is a cellphone that would really suck.

It has been discussed extensively.

Even discussed the cost of loaner service phones.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
It has been discussed extensively.

Even discussed the cost of loaner service phones.

It's a non-issue! The battery will last for a few years. By that time you will be using iPhone G2 or G3. Get over it. Realistically how long does one use the same phone?

bigdog

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Midcoast ME
Count me in...

I am writing from an iPhone, as well. Not sure how many they ended up selling at the AT&T store I went to (Brunswick, ME), but the demand was impressive. All told, I think about thirty to fourty people showed up by 6pm. The crowd was told there wouldn't be enough to go around, but no specifics. Most people - myself included - picked up the 8GB model, but I did see a 4GB model sell as I was leaving.

It took me longer to get 10.4.10 installed than to get the phone activated. Though activation timed out my first time through, I got an email with a link to finish the process. It may have been a bit easier for me since I'm an existing AT&T customer, but hey, so it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.