Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheezebob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I was planning to use my Mac mini in my living room and wanted to know what the best/cheapest remote control sensor was. I have a Logitech 880 universal remote and want to use that (can I?), but I guess I would just need something to send the signal to. Can I just get the IR sensor?

kusanagi

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
I was planning to use my Mac mini in my living room and wanted to know what the best/cheapest remote control sensor was. I have a Logitech 880 universal remote and want to use that (can I?), but I guess I would just need something to send the signal to. Can I just get the IR sensor?

I use my mac mini for the same thing (g4). However i'm using the apple remote coupled with a manta tr1 receiver + mira software ($25 US total). Works like a charm! Have a look http://www.twistedmelon.com.

cheezebob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
So the twistedmelon solution looked good but I was indecisive and waited and the summer sale ended and the prices went up. There has to be a cheaper solution... Is there anything else I could use?

miniray

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
Any luck?

Hi,

I was curious - did you find a solution to this?

I was looking at a similar setup - and don't have an IR receiver. Would be good to know if you found a cheaper/better solution.

Thanks

miniray

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
Yeah - plus the IR transceiver is out of stock at twistedmelon.com. Personally I'd just like to buy an IR transceiver and use an existing remote...

Ninja Guidan

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah - plus the IR transceiver is out of stock at twistedmelon.com. Personally I'd just like to buy an IR transceiver and use an existing remote...

Just curious and looking for more details...what exactly are you going to be using the G4 Mini with the remote and IR transceiver for? I have a G4 Mini, upgrading to a Macbook Pro, and am trying to figure out what I want to do with the Mini other that using it as a desktop file server.

Thanks...

miniray

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
Just curious and looking for more details...what exactly are you going to be using the G4 Mini with the remote and IR transceiver for? I have a G4 Mini, upgrading to a Macbook Pro, and am trying to figure out what I want to do with the Mini other that using it as a desktop file server.

Thanks...

Front Row + DVD Player. Have hooked it to a Samsung 226BW. Used for some browsing and watching movies.... Need the remote to handle Front Row. Also have some thoughts on exploring if I can run Asterisk on it.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I use the Griffin Airclick USB (it must be the USB for use on a Mac). Don't confuse it with the iPod Airclick.

Anyway, I bought mine at the Applestore, but you can get them for a bit cheaper on Ebay. It comes with a 5 button remote and the newest software runs Front Row perfectly. I'm very happy with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.