Remote/IR for G4 Mac mini

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cheezebob, Jul 3, 2007.

1. macrumors member

I was planning to use my Mac mini in my living room and wanted to know what the best/cheapest remote control sensor was. I have a Logitech 880 universal remote and want to use that (can I?), but I guess I would just need something to send the signal to. Can I just get the IR sensor?

2. macrumors regular

I use my mac mini for the same thing (g4). However i'm using the apple remote coupled with a manta tr1 receiver + mira software ($25 US total). Works like a charm! Have a look www.twistedmelon.com.

3. macrumors member

So the twistedmelon solution looked good but I was indecisive and waited and the summer sale ended and the prices went up. There has to be a cheaper solution... Is there anything else I could use?

4. macrumors newbie

Any luck?

Hi,

I was curious - did you find a solution to this?

I was looking at a similar setup - and don't have an IR receiver. Would be good to know if you found a cheaper/better solution.

Thanks

5. macrumors 604

gkarris

Cheaper than $33?

6. macrumors newbie

Yeah - plus the IR transceiver is out of stock at twistedmelon.com. Personally I'd just like to buy an IR transceiver and use an existing remote...

7. macrumors regular

Just curious and looking for more details...what exactly are you going to be using the G4 Mini with the remote and IR transceiver for? I have a G4 Mini, upgrading to a Macbook Pro, and am trying to figure out what I want to do with the Mini other that using it as a desktop file server.

Thanks...

8. macrumors newbie

Front Row + DVD Player. Have hooked it to a Samsung 226BW. Used for some browsing and watching movies.... Need the remote to handle Front Row. Also have some thoughts on exploring if I can run Asterisk on it.

9. macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I use the Griffin Airclick USB (it must be the USB for use on a Mac). Don't confuse it with the iPod Airclick.

Anyway, I bought mine at the Applestore, but you can get them for a bit cheaper on Ebay. It comes with a 5 button remote and the newest software runs Front Row perfectly. I'm very happy with it.