Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
We all know now where homeland security is heading

" The disclosure was unusually embarrassing for Microsoft because it demonstrated the first such serious flaw in the company’s powerful new computer server software, billed as its safest ever.
The software is aimed at large corporate customers and was the first product sold under a high-profile “Trustworthy Computing” initiative organized last year by Microsoft founder Bill Gates.
"

"The announcement came one day after the Department of Homeland Security announced that it awarded a five-year, $90-million contract for Microsoft to supply all its most important desktop and server software for about 140,000 computers inside the new federal agency."

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I have one thing to say to that...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Stoopid M$. Stoopid government. Shoulda' bought Macs.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Two things about this.

1. I do not care about Windows, security in Windows is not even a problem for me because there are 300 things I do not like about the system any way.

2. We have to realize that the security problems in Windows doesn't mean OSX is more secure, it means that Windows is more attacked than OSX. I wonder how secure OSX is any way, I bet is not more secure than windows and is equally hackeable. M$ is a very medicre company.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
Unix Systems are more stable than bloated winblows

I didnt hear this many security warning against any unix os - eg: Sun Solaris or AIX. The problem is 'buffer overflow' and it is deep inside. It will take many years to patch the big hole. They are improving. Did u ever notice that Winxp's automatic software update pop up every day? Most of them are just security fixes.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Re: Two things about this.

Basically, I agree with the gist of your post, but...

My title was designed to direct this as a reminder to people who were posting that they were going to buy Dell laptops because there was no 15" PB update, or a similar move. Not confrontational, but rather a reminder maybe of why they left.

Also, while I'm no expert, I have to think that *nix-based systems have to have more diagnostic tools for finding security flaws than Windows. (Remember the much-dreaded release of "Satan"? That was a program to detect security flaws in Unix systems.) With tools like these, there really must be fewer holes.

Also, it wasn't clear to me why your statement that M$ is a mediocre company is a sequitur to your contention that we don't know just how vulnerable OS X is.

(Oh, and if you read the article, an analyst said that until it was fixed, a system was "like swiss cheese". That's not small potatoes.)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
As a person who does use Windows as well (unfortunetely), I can tell you that it is much less secure than OS X. Unix isn't perfect, and neither is OS X, but Windows is, and always has been, incredibly insecure. Even if it wasn't as popular as it is. Ask any computer security expert.

Hackers don't use Unix and Linux because it's less popular.

You can always find holes, but it's easier on Windows machine, and MUCH harder on *nix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.