Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:04 PM   #1
hauntedcity
macrumors member

Handbrake horizontal lines

I've ripped a few of my DVDs for use on Apple TV and have been mostly pleased with the quality. I just use the Apple TV presets. However, I tried ripping a Baby Einstein DVD (for my baby, not me ), and the resulting file has lots of horizontal "ghost" lines during playback. A still picture looks great, but with any action I see the horizontal lines.

Has anyone else seen something similar? Is there a way around this?

FOLLOW UP: Okay, I may have found the problem. Apparently, I should try selecting "deinterlace" in Handbrake. Silly me for searching for "lines" when I should have searched for "interlace". It's so obvious! :P

Last edited by hauntedcity; Jul 5, 2007 at 12:14 PM.
hauntedcity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 06:42 PM   #2
APPLENEWBIE
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedcity View Post
Okay, I may have found the problem. Apparently, I should try selecting "deinterlace" in Handbrake. Silly me for searching for "lines" when I should have searched for "interlace". It's so obvious! :P
Thanks for the tip.. I have been having similar problems with a DVD disc I have been working with... I will try it!
Old Jul 6, 2007, 02:44 AM   #3
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
did it only happen the baby einstein dvd?? or a few of them.. ok so to fix it just deinterlace, easy thnks for the tip

Last edited by DoFoT9; Jul 6, 2007 at 02:55 AM.
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 02:45 AM   #4
janey
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
did it only happen the baby einstein dvd?? or a few of them.. ok so to fix it just disinterlace, easy thnks for the tip
deinterlace.

janey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 02:55 AM   #5
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
was typing with one hand.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 09:08 AM   #6
hauntedcity
macrumors member

Quote:
did it only happen the baby einstein dvd?? or a few of them.. ok so to fix it just deinterlace, easy thnks for the tip
I didn't realize it at the time, but it happened when I loaded a Billy Joel DVD, too. And I had loaded each video one at a time! At least I know about using the queue now. It sure helps to actually read the documentation, eh?
hauntedcity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 09:12 AM   #7
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedcity View Post
I didn't realize it at the time, but it happened when I loaded a Billy Joel DVD, too. And I had loaded each video one at a time! At least I know about using the queue now. It sure helps to actually read the documentation, eh?
oh hhmm. does the deinterlace thing work for you?? ive never had to use it my videos always seem to come out good. must be something. haha queues are good, but not if u have many dvds.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 09:31 AM   #8
gnasher729
In Time-Out

Quote:
oh hhmm. does the deinterlace thing work for you?? ive never had to use it my videos always seem to come out good. must be something. haha queues are good, but not if u have many dvds.
Important: Use deinterlace when the source material is interlaced. Don't use deinterlace when the source material is _not_ interlaced, because it will only waste time and reduce the quality. Material that was made for TV is usually interlaced, material that was made for cinema usually isn't.

Use the preview button and check a few frames whether they show the typical signs of interlaced video to decide whether to use deinterlace or not.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 09:34 AM   #9
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Important: Use deinterlace when the source material is interlaced. Don't use deinterlace when the source material is _not_ interlaced, because it will only waste time and reduce the quality. Material that was made for TV is usually interlaced, material that was made for cinema usually isn't.

Use the preview button and check a few frames whether they show the typical signs of interlaced video to decide whether to use deinterlace or not.
ok thankyou for the tip. alot of my tv recordings come out crap, here in australia we dont yet have good signal. a lot of people are still on analogue. digital is slowly finding its way into homes. australia is VERY far behind

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater