Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Now, for those who could never get giFT compiled before, Poisoned has the giFT daemon built in, you can have the Fasttrack, OpenFT, and Gnutella rigth at your fingertips. OpenNap coming soon.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I am hearing VERY good things about his app.

Wow this could be really good. A Mac p2p app with no spyware. That's killer enough right there.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
its a pretty good app. its just too bad that p2p sucks in general anyways. p2p is in a horrible state, is completely unreliable and slow. give me bittorrent or give me death.

nspeds

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2002
So far, all I get is "waiting" and no downloads.

Bittorrent is bad, your IP is reported to the BSA and then they label it pirate. REAL bad if you have a static.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by mangoduck
oh boy. stats! lots and lots of download stats!

seems to work much more reliably than mlmac so far.

It is because it runs mainly on OpenFT, which is made much better then mlMac.

edit: BTW, it looks like it STILL doesn't have FastTrack compiled anyway, look I only see OpenFT listed on my connected networks. :rolleyes:

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
FastTrack is compiled into it, I downloaded the app yesterday...the great thing about the giFT daemon is the way it operates, setting up an http proxy server on your computer instead of directly using the fasttrack and gnutella ports, which my campus network blocked after the RIAA went after RPI (our big football rivals, and neighboring school)...with giFT you can still download right around the firewall!

PS thanks for merging the threads mods, i didn't notice the other when I posted

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
I just started it and I get no connections anywhere. No firewall installed/active. Strange.
Does the connection take some time?

ecino1

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2002
Canada
amazing..

Works amazingly. Connects to fasttrack super quick, and gets tons of files available. All the downloads I have tried get good speed around 40k/s. Awesome software!

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Originally posted by sparkleytone
its a pretty good app. its just too bad that p2p sucks in general anyways. p2p is in a horrible state, is completely unreliable and slow. give me bittorrent or give me death.

Yeah, bittorrent rox! too bad all the tracker sites go down a week after they're put up :(. There are also rumors that the MPAA is starting to track people down on bt.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Re: amazing..

Originally posted by ecino1
Works amazingly. Connects to fasttrack super quick, and gets tons of files available. All the downloads I have tried get good speed around 40k/s. Awesome software!

Do you have a hint for me... it just doesn´t work. There are zeros everywhere, I click conntect, but not one connection is displayed. Searches yield no results either.

EDIT: I figured it out. I used "GiFTBox" once and it updated the ft-daemon. I get connections now with Poisoned :p :)

ecino1

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2002
Canada
Re: Re: amazing..

Originally posted by Stike
Do you have a hint for me... it just doesn´t work. There are zeros everywhere, I click conntect, but not one connection is displayed. Searches yield no results either.

EDIT: I figured it out. I used "GiFTBox" once and it updated the ft-daemon. I get connections now with Poisoned :p :)

Hmmm.... Well I didn't do anything special to get it working. I did no do any compiling of GiFT or any of that. One thing that may help you is to do procedure written right bellow the download Poisioned link on the site listed in this thread. It is basically a short terminal procedure that deletes a file that may cause problems. But other than that all I did was boot up the app and it connected to all the networks right away. Good luck. Check the screenshot --- TONS of files on the Fasttrack network!!

EDIT: I did NOT change any pref's at ALL in the application. I am not sure if you did change your pref's, or if that could mess it up possibly. But I didnt change anything, including changing the download/upload folder. Hence the screenshot showing only 1 file shared! I guess it would be worth a shot to trash the app and its pref's and reinstall it again. Maybee try it first without changing any settings/prefs to see if you have any luck. Once again, I have no idea if you did/ didnt change anything so forgive me if you havent done this, or already havent tried this.

Attachments

• shot.jpg
    shot.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,332

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Re: Re: Re: amazing..

Hmmm.... Well I didn't do anything special to get it working. I did no do any compiling of GiFT or any of that. One thing that may help you is to do procedure written right bellow the download Poisioned link on the site listed in this thread. It is basically a short terminal procedure that deletes a file that may cause problems. But other than that all I did was boot up the app and it connected to all the networks right away. Good luck. Check the screenshot --- TONS of files on the Fasttrack network!!

EDIT: I did NOT change any pref's at ALL in the application. I am not sure if you did change your pref's, or if that could mess it up possibly. But I didnt change anything, including changing the download/upload folder. Hence the screenshot showing only 1 file shared! I guess it would be worth a shot to trash the app and its pref's and reinstall it again. Maybee try it first without changing any settings/prefs to see if you have any luck. Once again, I have no idea if you did/ didnt change anything so forgive me if you havent done this, or already havent tried this.

damn, I have files in my .gift folder (hidden) so I'll see if deleting them will let me get access finally!!!

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Re: Re: Re: amazing..

Hmmm.... Well I didn't do anything special to get it working. I did no do any compiling of GiFT or any of that. One thing that may help you is to do procedure written right bellow the download Poisioned link on the site listed in this thread. Good luck. Check the screenshot --- TONS of files on the Fasttrack network!!

I use Tinkertool, so I didn´t need the Terminal to delete an invisible folder. I trashed the old giFT Folder, and the Poisoned Prefs too!
Suddenly it works!
Thank you ecino! :D

Attachments

• bild1.jpg
    bild1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,239

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by MrMacman
It is kinda weird and has been syncing files forreevverr. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm!!!
It is still syncing here, but I am not wondering - I guess over 10.000 files take a while :eek: ;)

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
thanks now it works, they really need to let people know that you must trash your old prefs and the .gift folder

ecino1

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2002
Canada
Awesome, nice to see everyone is able to enjoy the software now. Man there are tons of files on fasttrack!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.