Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:53 PM   #1
unsmashed
macrumors newbie

When traveling with a laptop case, which way should I put my laptop into the bag?

I just got done doing a week of traveling, constantly packing and unpacking my laptop into my laptop bag. It got me to thinking, which way is better for the laptop to be up, while in the laptop bag.

Imagine a laptop bag standing up - would you put the hinge of the laptop (where the keyboard and screen meet) at the top of the bag - or would you put the hinge at the bottom of the bag?

The vent is near the hinge - so having the vent in a place where it could breathe is probably the best spot.

What do you think?
unsmashed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:18 PM   #2
MacNut
macrumors P6

I go hinge down, It doesn't matter about the vents as the thing is sleeping and not producing heat.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:34 PM   #3
balofagus
macrumors regular

I go hinge up/out. I like to grab it at the back because on my iBook it has less give than at the front and I don't feel like I'm smwashing the screen.
balofagus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:38 PM   #4
Reaver
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Reaver Send a message via Yahoo to Reaver
I travel with mine hinge up and out that way I grab the back of my MBP when pulling it out of my bag.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:45 PM   #5
Sbrocket
macrumors 65816

I can't think of any reason that it would matter from a protection point-of-view, though feel free to correct me if you can think of one. A proper case for it should protect the laptop in any orientation. If the laptop has enough room to move around in the padding, you need a new case. Movement in the padding is the only possible reason I can think for the hinge positioning mattering, and even that's iffy.

I put my laptop in hinge up and with the Apple logo facing the back of my messenger bag+Brain Cell case so I can pull it out straight and just set it down without flipping it to get the orientation right or anything.
Sbrocket is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:45 PM   #6
unsmashed
macrumors newbie

Sometimes I put the laptop into the bag hot - I would imagine having the hinge / vent up at that point would provide some benefit in letting the heat continue to escape
unsmashed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:48 PM   #7
Royale w/cheese
macrumors 6502a

I would say put it on the INSIDE of the bag. I never really cared too much how I put it in, but I tend to put the rear down.
Royale w/cheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 03:21 AM   #8
fab5freddy
macrumors 65816

i bought a see thru sealing for my MBP 15". It makes it so much
easier to grab out of your bag. With the factory make of the MBP, it slips out of your hand very easily. It is this helicopter wing protectant that i bought from Tekserve in NYC. It cost $ 40. forgot the name of it....
fab5freddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro