Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:47 PM   #1
superman666
macrumors regular

Steam on OS X?

Hey,
I just looked up possible ways to get steam on OSX. The reason being that I don't think I can find a valid windows cd for bootcamp. It sucks because I have 3 windows computers but I can't 'put the windows' from one computer onto this...

Anyways there is this thing called CrossOver ( http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/ ). Does this work well with source games?

Thanks
superman666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:52 PM   #2
barr08
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman666 View Post
Hey,
I just looked up possible ways to get steam on OSX. The reason being that I don't think I can find a valid windows cd for bootcamp. It sucks because I have 3 windows computers but I can't 'put the windows' from one computer onto this...

Anyways there is this thing called CrossOver ( http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/ ). Does this work well with source games?

Thanks
You might get HL or CS1.6 running, but don't even try anything on the source engine.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:55 PM   #3
superman666
macrumors regular

Well poop,
I really want to play some Halflife/CSS/RedOrchestra....

Is there any other way?
Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:57 PM   #4
barr08
macrumors 65816

The only way is bootcamp, but you need a copy of windows.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 01:25 PM   #5
phanboyjohn
macrumors member

If you're a pretty hardcore gamer, it's not a bad idea to invest in a copy of XP/Vista (I know Vista sucks, but I'm just talking about the future, here). It'll be anywhere from $130-$200 depending if you go OEM versus retail, etc., but you can just have that be your "Windows CD for your Mac" for games. Think of it like a long-term investment--at least until we get some Mac exclusive games.

Sorry, bad joke.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 09:13 PM   #6
aspro
macrumors 6502

It appears that Source runs pretty well under Crossover, see here.

13" Macbook
[2.16Ghz/2GB/120GB/Mac OSX 10.5.1/iPod classic 80GB]
aspro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 09:22 PM   #7
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
why doesnt my C&C convert!!!!!
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:34 PM   #8
Aea
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspro View Post
Steam by itself runs dog slow and can't run for more then five minutes without crashing, and it's a silver/gold app, I doubt HL2 will do any better.
Aea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 01:56 PM   #9
freeedge369
macrumors member

Crissiver ftw

I have a 2.33 ghz MBP, and I run CSS, Half Life 2, and all the games in my steam account through crossover. It works fine.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 08:35 PM   #10
superman666
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeedge369 View Post
I have a 2.33 ghz MBP, and I run CSS, Half Life 2, and all the games in my steam account through crossover. It works fine.
Really? Can more people chip in and tell me if it works as well? Otherwise i'll just try it myself..
Old Jul 27, 2007, 08:38 PM   #11
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
has ne1 had any experiance with command & conquer, mine installs and everything, it just refuses to run
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2007, 01:25 PM   #12
superman666
macrumors regular

BTW just to tell you guys i tried CS:S on crossover and it worked excellent. Of course i excpected it wouldn't play as well as it should (with my 2.4GHz/2GB Ram/All that good stuff), but I made it widescreen, top resolution, and set the textures to medium and it stays at like 30-60 FPS. I am very impressed. I'm going to try and see if Red Orchestra works. If it does i'll probably end up buying crossover.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 02:23 AM   #13
boobooq88
macrumors regular

CS 1.6 runs decently for me under crossover... I'd say somewhere in the 30 - 60 fps range. Sorry... cant say for source. I dont like it much so i dont own it (have played it at friends houses)
boobooq88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 08:00 AM   #14
Cabbit
macrumors 68020

been running steam on crossover office for a couple years, first on linux now on mac os. Running on a core duo 1.66 mac mini i run half life 2 perfictly without any problems dx 8.1 path witch is a limit of lack of hardware T&L not software.
Cabbit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 09:09 AM   #15
barr08
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspro View Post
A "bronze" rating is pretty bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeedge369 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman666 View Post
BTW just to tell you guys i tried CS:S on crossover and it worked excellent. Of course i excpected it wouldn't play as well as it should (with my 2.4GHz/2GB Ram/All that good stuff), but I made it widescreen, top resolution, and set the textures to medium and it stays at like 30-60 FPS. I am very impressed. I'm going to try and see if Red Orchestra works. If it does i'll probably end up buying crossover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjenniferLB View Post
been running steam on crossover office for a couple years, first on linux now on mac os. Running on a core duo 1.66 mac mini i run half life 2 perfictly without any problems dx 8.1 path witch is a limit of lack of hardware T&L not software.
I am intrigued, however, at these responses. I will give this a shot when I get home. I can really only play cs:s with a 60+ framerate, so I'll prolly be dissapointed.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 11:33 AM   #16
maccompaq
macrumors 65816

?

Last edited by maccompaq; Aug 1, 2007 at 12:03 PM. Reason: one
maccompaq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 09:31 AM   #17
barr08
macrumors 65816

I tried this out with the newest version of crossover. Steam worked fine, and CS:S started up with no problem. I might even argue it was a little snappier starting up then it is in bootcamp, but as soon as it got in the game, it locked up and I had to restart.

I'll try it again today. Did anyone else share this problem?
Old Aug 1, 2007, 05:09 PM   #18
Aea
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by barr08 View Post
I tried this out with the newest version of crossover. Steam worked fine, and CS:S started up with no problem. I might even argue it was a little snappier starting up then it is in bootcamp, but as soon as it got in the game, it locked up and I had to restart.

I'll try it again today. Did anyone else share this problem?
I couldn't even get the game to download before Steam crashed, and logging into Steam took about 5 minutes, another 5 minutes before I could start my download because it constantly froze up.

It's hit-or-miss for various people it seems.
Aea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:44 AM   #19
musichorses
macrumors newbie

Possible solution...

Been working both OS's for over 10 yrs now, & here is what I have had to do for customers with win os's...
you have legally owned Win OS's now running on pc's ... so what you do, is you call microsoft, have the original disk in your hand... from one of the pc's, and tell them that you are installing to your laptop, notebook, so u can bring work back and forth... or i've most times, told them my customer's hard drive died, and they understand and give you another code... and thats it...

the second option, (if u just can't do the first one)... is to email me, if the administrators of this forum allow you too... pls go thru them...

Here is this, not to far past... I worked an 8 month job, converting, upgrading, and installing a mac network for a family & their family owned business in Brentwood... I was given a budget for purchasing computers, At the Apple store I spent $30,000.00, and macintosh was very generous with the windows software i'd asked for with each titanium, g5, i ordered... mind u i spent 6000.00 on each machine... You get 2 installations per XP, in otherwords, the keycode works 2 times for registering, and keeping your copy legal, while online, etc... (but it works more then 2 times, if u tell them the above, it really works...)!

But just in case:
I have extra working versions ... windows xp - for macintosh... you can have one of them... never having the opportunity to give these to the deserved... until now... again... what i have are factory legal never opened... win xp for mac.... you can either install it on an intel mac, or like i have my-NON INTEL-ibook... LOL.... and i only use mine for the advanced office features they give to windows PC's. Office for mac is sadly limited, it unfair...

let me know...
musichorses
musichorses is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 01:20 PM   #20
TheSilencer
macrumors regular

Shouldn´t work Wine (not DarWine) as well? It seems that Steam/CSS or other games work very good - guessing from what I seen on youtube - with Linux and Wine and you could install Wine with MacPorts for X11 too, I believe, or not? Has someone done this?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 03:43 PM   #21
torchwood04
macrumors regular

Darwine 0.9.43 can be found here: http://thisismyinter.net/?p=21 (the old, official Darwine versions were old, and not current). This is pretty much WINE on OSX, though I think OpenGL does not work, but it may be Apple's X11 implementation's fault..
Old Aug 22, 2007, 04:20 PM   #22
dubs
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichorses View Post
Been working both OS's for over 10 yrs now, & here is what I have had to do for customers with win os's...
you have legally owned Win OS's now running on pc's ... so what you do, is you call microsoft, have the original disk in your hand... from one of the pc's, and tell them that you are installing to your laptop, notebook, so u can bring work back and forth... or i've most times, told them my customer's hard drive died, and they understand and give you another code... and thats it...

the second option, (if u just can't do the first one)... is to email me, if the administrators of this forum allow you too... pls go thru them...

Here is this, not to far past... I worked an 8 month job, converting, upgrading, and installing a mac network for a family & their family owned business in Brentwood... I was given a budget for purchasing computers, At the Apple store I spent $30,000.00, and macintosh was very generous with the windows software i'd asked for with each titanium, g5, i ordered... mind u i spent 6000.00 on each machine... You get 2 installations per XP, in otherwords, the keycode works 2 times for registering, and keeping your copy legal, while online, etc... (but it works more then 2 times, if u tell them the above, it really works...)!

But just in case:
I have extra working versions ... windows xp - for macintosh... you can have one of them... never having the opportunity to give these to the deserved... until now... again... what i have are factory legal never opened... win xp for mac.... you can either install it on an intel mac, or like i have my-NON INTEL-ibook... LOL.... and i only use mine for the advanced office features they give to windows PC's. Office for mac is sadly limited, it unfair...

let me know...
musichorses
Would you be willing to donate to an extremely poor college student?
dubs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 05:45 PM   #23
dubs
macrumors member

I have just downloaded crossover, and have been playing TFC in multiplayer via steam, at full res, and high color on my 2.4 mbp, runs well, constant 70 fps. However this is a really old game. Anyone know how to turn off v-sync? There is no in-game option.
dubs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games