Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hermit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
usa
I have g4 ibook 14" 1.33......

I spent 2 hours unscrewing at least a hundred screws and trying to pry the white shell open. Finally I was able to locate the HD and replaced it with a new one.

Screwed everything back in, crossed my fingers, and the thing booted up--hurray!

Unfortunately, now the battery says 97% but it is not charging. The cord light is ever green and when I pulled the plug, it shuts down. So much for 97%.

I tried all the pmu, reset-all, taking it in and out a dozen times (5-12seconds intervals), etc.

Did I screw up something during the disassembly/reassembly?

please help!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
For the record, it won't necessarily start charging 'til it hits below 95% so as to ensure it doesn't wear the battery out. Nevertheless, it shouldn't be shutting down. Is there another battery you can test with? By the sounds of things, it'll be a problem with the machine rather than the battery per se, but it'd be nice to find out for sure. :)

hermit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
usa
fixed

I fixed it! I disassembled it and reassembled it again, paying careful attention to each screw and where it should go. Also, I ensured all the tapes were applied in the correct places and made sure the aluminum covering was fitted properly. I suspected there was a short due to my careless reassemble after the HD upgrade.

I have g4 ibook 14" 1.33......

I spent 2 hours unscrewing at least a hundred screws and trying to pry the white shell open. Finally I was able to locate the HD and replaced it with a new one.

Screwed everything back in, crossed my fingers, and the thing booted up--hurray!

Unfortunately, now the battery says 97% but it is not charging. The cord light is ever green and when I pulled the plug, it shuts down. So much for 97%.

I tried all the pmu, reset-all, taking it in and out a dozen times (5-12seconds intervals), etc.

Did I screw up something during the disassembly/reassembly?

please help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.