Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 5, 2003, 04:45 PM   #1
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

can't hear this video...

I've tried it in mplayer, VLC, quicktime, and windows media player. I can see images, but not hear sound. Here's the message I get in VLC:

main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc ` ms'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

So it seems that maybe the file is just corrupted, huh? Or are there any other players that I could try?
Old Aug 5, 2003, 05:05 PM   #2
tpjunkie
macrumors 65816

whats the format? Try changing the extension name if its got a .mpg when it should be a .mov...occasionally that works for me, it takes some fiddling though
tpjunkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 05:13 PM   #3
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

thanks, it was mpg, and I changed it to mov, but it didn't help. I think it's probably a lost cause since quicktime gives the message, "could not open the file because there was an error in the program."

But any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 05:51 PM   #4
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
Its a Windows Media 9 created MPEG file, (aka MS MPEG). You will not be able to play it on your Mac. You must use Windows Media Player, with Windows Media 9 Frameworks, which is not available for Mac. A large number of wmv's also have this same ability.

I have also seen this attached to .mpg or .mpeg files that were incoded back before the standardation of MPEG4, back when Apple and MS were fighting for their format. The MS-MPEG4 was based on asf file format. It has the same tag as MS-MPEG.

Both of these formats use WMA to incode sounds, thats what causes the programs.

Sorry you can't get it to work.

TEG
Old Aug 6, 2003, 12:15 AM   #5
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

oh, well, damn that it won't work, but thanks for explaining the difficulty. At least it makes sense now.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 12:33 AM   #6
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
acually... I remember a program that did... something with the audio from wma... I used Divx doctor once and it told me to get some program... it was in the read me...

damn where is that readme... I think they had a app that changed that audio to something else... sorry I can't give a name.

half baked solution here:
http://forums.3ivx.com/cgi-bin/ikonb...um=2&topic=157
IM Me On AIM Already!

Last edited by MrMacman; Aug 6, 2003 at 12:49 AM.
MrMacMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2003, 01:45 AM   #7
iEric
macrumors 6502a

try divx...its a codec that lets you watch any type of video that is mac compatible.
it will help in this case...

www.divx.com

13" MPA, 1.8 Ghz i7; TBD; 32 GB iPhone 4
iEric is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store