Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Aug 26, 2007, 01:54 PM   #1
Hustle
macrumors 6502a

Macbook - No Sound - Volume control locked

I was using iShowu earlier to make a video for YouTube. When i clicked record, i stopped getting sound. Once i had finished, i still got no sound.

The volume control bar is on full and it wont let me move it anywhere, and im still not getting any sound, even though the volume is locked on full.

What could be causing this?.

Yes, i've restarted etc...
Hustle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 02:12 PM   #2
Hustle
macrumors 6502a

Fixed!.

It seems the output device was changed from internal speakers to the one below it.
Silly me.
Hustle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 08:18 AM   #3
sineadni
macrumors newbie

Audio locked

Bonjour Hustler I have the same thing with my Mac, I've been told that it's something to do with the fact that I've connected my amp to it and that the volume on the amp higher than that on the computer has locked my audio on my Mac??? And that there was no way I could get it back??? HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle View Post
I was using iShowu earlier to make a video for YouTube. When i clicked record, i stopped getting sound. Once i had finished, i still got no sound.

The volume control bar is on full and it wont let me move it anywhere, and im still not getting any sound, even though the volume is locked on full.

What could be causing this?.

Yes, i've restarted etc...
sineadni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 04:51 AM   #4
sidneyssa
macrumors newbie

Unlock the Audio

Go to "System Preferences" click on "Sound" make sure that the "Input" is set to "Internal Microphone" and the "Output" is set to "Internal Speakers".
Good Luck!
sidneyssa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:48 AM   #5
jmartigu
macrumors newbie

No sound on my MACbok

Hi!
I did try going to preferences and the output part says "the selected device has no output controls" and it doesn't allow me to select anything!
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
jmartigu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 01:30 AM   #6
jmartigu
macrumors newbie

Solved it!

Apparently, when plugging headphones or other devices, sometimes a little switch inside the output port clicks and it changes the sound output to "digital audio" or something of that kind.

What happens is usually this:
1. The internal speakers still chime when your Mac is powered on
2. A 'no parking' like symbol appearing below the sound icon whenever you attempt to manipulate the volume on your Mac
3. A red light continues to emanate from the audio output port
4. Only "Digital audio out" as the only output source displayed in the Sound panel of the System Preferences.

Sometimes, just plugging and unplugging the headphones again works, but what I actually did was, very gently, use a toothpick to click the little switch inside the port back on...and voila!

Hope this helps.
jmartigu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 07:51 AM   #7
verothiel
macrumors newbie

Sound input

Can I just say thank you, jmartigu, I started panicking as my macbook is already a bit wonky, and I really thought I'd lost the sound - plugging in and unplugging the headphones did the trick!

Huzzah for the Internet :-)
verothiel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 09:44 PM   #8
mac-matt
macrumors member

genius

plugging in a headphone did the trick for me too. thanks
mac-matt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:07 AM   #9
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-matt View Post
plugging in a headphone did the trick for me too. thanks
Yup +1
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 08:29 PM   #10
Jordo960
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartigu View Post
Apparently, when plugging headphones or other devices, sometimes a little switch inside the output port clicks and it changes the sound output to "digital audio" or something of that kind.

2. A 'no parking' like symbol appearing below the sound icon whenever you attempt to manipulate the volume on your Mac
4. Only "Digital audio out" as the only output source displayed in the Sound panel of the System Preferences.

Sometimes, just plugging and unplugging the headphones again works, but what I actually did was, very gently, use a toothpick to click the little switch inside the port back on...and voila!

Hope this helps.
This is exactly the problem I have. Plugging in the headphones has not worked. Is the switch on the side of the headphone port? In the back?
Jordo960 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 08:50 PM   #11
parker770
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo960 View Post
This is exactly the problem I have. Plugging in the headphones has not worked. Is the switch on the side of the headphone port? In the back?
Just keep fiddling with it with a toothpick or any other non-metallic object.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:26 PM   #12
smoking monkey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo960 View Post
I just had the same thing happen to me. Be patient. It took me about 1 hour to finally fix it.

The first thing I though was my headphones had caused it. That was correct in a way. So I plugged them in again and pulled them out several times.

That didn't work. So I then checked the boards and found threads about this and realized I just had to keep trying.

I repaired permissions and then restarted my computer 3 times. On the third time after plugging in my headphones and pulling them out again, I got my sound back.

I did have the red Digi light emanating from the jack before turning it on and off as well. I wasn't able to see a small switch inside as my eyes aren't great so I just kept at it until it was fixed.
smoking monkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:03 AM   #13
pdc39
macrumors newbie

im having a similar problem to all people above, except mine wont play any sound no matter what, except for startup sound. The volume logo on the toolbar is gray and when you try to move the volume it doesnt move, and there is a little 0 with a slash thru it beneath the volume controls when you use the keyboard shortcuts.
I tried all of the paper clip, blowing, jiggling, etc and nothing has worked. Under my system pref it says in the output menu that i am in "Digital Out" but that there are no audio controls for this device. There is no other output option, and the master volume for output wont work.
any ideas?
pdc39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2011, 01:27 AM   #14
smoking monkey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdc39 View Post
im having a similar problem to all people above, except mine wont play any sound no matter what, except for startup sound. The volume logo on the toolbar is gray and when you try to move the volume it doesnt move, and there is a little 0 with a slash thru it beneath the volume controls when you use the keyboard shortcuts.
I tried all of the paper clip, blowing, jiggling, etc and nothing has worked. Under my system pref it says in the output menu that i am in "Digital Out" but that there are no audio controls for this device. There is no other output option, and the master volume for output wont work.
any ideas?
Your problem is identical to the problem I had. Read my post above and you should be able to resolve it with some patience.
smoking monkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:59 AM   #15
bodger
macrumors newbie

Get some electrical contact cleaner & spray it into the headphone socket. I tried the above solutions but that's what instantly fixed it for me.
bodger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:05 PM   #16
higgs01
macrumors newbie

lost sound on macbook

thanks for the help ,,, lost my sound but did as instructed plugged in earphones and got sound back,,,
higgs01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:26 AM   #17
Thommy1106
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Hope this helps.
This was helping absolutely. After toothpick operation all is working perfect again! Thanks a lot!!!
Thommy1106 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:13 AM   #18
JWAIII
macrumors newbie

I gotta say, this is kinda ridiculous. I've had other odd little troubles with this new MacBook Pro, including a challenging time transferring information from my other computer (which should be pretty basic). I hope this isn't indicative of the direction Mac is taking - one of the best things about Macs, in my experience dating back to '95, has been the absolute ease of use in the everyday stuff. Like sound. Maybe I've been lucky? But this sound issue? Fixed by plugging in headphones over and over until it works? Are they making these things back in the garage again?
JWAIII is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:36 AM   #19
Cameron8
macrumors newbie

I'm having similar troubles with my Mac. It's been freezing suddenly the past 2 days and I wasn't sure why. So looking online advice said shut the computer down and hold down both shift buttons @ once before you hear the start up tone. So I did and still heard the start up tone. Going to itunes now, the volume is locked in what seems to be the same way as the rest of all yours. But the itunes wont play anything either. Not will youtube. It all worked before I had to force it to shut down by holding the power button since nothing else worked frozen. I can click on the song and even though I couldn't hear it I still expected it to play, just muted. Same with youtube. Just black, loading but never playing. I've been fiddling around with the headphones, plugging them in and messing with other objects like suggested but it's not working. I went to System Pref. then Sound & all that shows up is "No input device found" and the volume bar is locked. Any advice? What happened between it freezing, shutting down and coming on? The music played fine and I wasn't wearing headphones so it's not like I triggered something inside it.
Cameron8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:34 AM   #20
kuramayoko10
macrumors newbie

Blowing air

For me the only solution is by blowing air inside the port.
Sometimes it take a while but then it comes back.

I have to do it many times. It is not a permanent fix.
This really sucks =/
kuramayoko10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:27 PM   #21
ahmed tariq
macrumors newbie

Cool No sound on my MACbok

This is exactly the problem I have. Plugging in the headphones has just worked but when i unplugged the headphones i lost my sound. please help me ... how can i prevent this exercise (Plugging the headphones or unplugging the headphones). HELP
ahmed tariq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 02:33 PM   #22
Digitalis88
macrumors newbie

Angry Sound blocked

Hi,

I have the same problem. I inserted many times head plugs and toothpicks. Nothing seems to work. The light disappears but still the problem remains.
Can somebody help me on this?
Digitalis88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014, 03:59 PM   #23
BarryKayton
macrumors newbie

Solution: Use Terminal to reset audio

I had a similar problem: using the volume control keys shows the volume set to max but there's a locked symbol below the indicator.

Removing and inserting the headphones made no difference.

I solved the problem by opening Terminal.app and pasting the following command:

sudo killall coreaudiod

This quits the Core Audio daemon. But the system then relaunches Core Audio.

Solved the problem without having to restart.

You can read more about the solution here:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-re...ystem-in-os-x/
BarryKayton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014, 04:11 PM   #24
TB07-NJ
macrumors 68020

I have tried every fix so far found on the web (both hardware and software) with no luck. Only thing I haven't tried was the switch/contact cleaner which sounds like a good idea as a last resort. I have a 2010 MBP and the red light always stays on in the headphone jack. Maybe a little WD40 would do it?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1732942
TB07-NJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:28 AM   #25
carlson508
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Hope this helps.
you are a life saver!!! plugged in headphones and boom the sound works. thank you for being smarter than I lol
carlson508 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro