Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
I have been Googling this for days and it seems to be a common issue.

2010 13" MBP. When powering it on speaker bootup sounds are fine but when playing music or anything else nothing from the speakers. The red "digital" light always goes on in the speaker jack when anything is playing (it is off until music starts). Headphones work fine.

There are literally dozens of "fixes" that have and have not worked for many people. Nothing has worked for me and I have tried every hardware & software trick/fix I could find. It seems to be a bad headphone jack.

Anyway, this computer is way out of warranty (it was purchased used). Everything else on it works fine. This SEEMS to be a common issue because there are MANY MANY threads about it on various forums. If it is a known problem does Apple repair it free even though it is out of warranty? I don't expect them to do it, just wondering.

What does Apple charge to repair a MBPRO? Is it a flat rate thing (like OOW iPhones) or does it vary. I'm sure the prices are outrageous and not worth it on a 2nd hand machine I got real cheap. Never owned a MAC before and have had no experience with their repairs. I bought it knowing it had this issue (but did reading before and it SEEMED like something that I could fix). I could live without speaker sound but of course would like to get it working, mainly for Skype.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.