Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mayzenb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
I never thought that i'd run into trouble with this magnitude. I recently purchased a Mac, i'm a first time. I've been using the windows format for 12 years, and Dos before windows. Now that i have a new system i would like to upload my old exe. files into the Mac. I don't want to waste 2 hundred on the virtual pc 6 software, so how can i get around without purchasing any software.

Thank you

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
You can't, plain and simple. Windows executables cannot and will not run on a Mac (without VPC), neither can they (to my knowledge) be converted in any way. Sorry.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
That's a problem. .EXE is an executable application, written for DOS/Windows on x86. Not for any Mac OS. You cannot just "convert" applcations, as you can do with documents.
If you really MUST run DOS/Windows applications on your Mac, then I am afraid you will be needing VP6 (or Real PC <where are you???>).
Maybe if those .EXE-files are just self executing compressed archives, then maybe you could borrow someone's PC, to extract the files, then copy the uncompressed files to your Mac.

mayzenb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
furhter...

how can i then run exe. files, without converting on my MAc with out purchasing virtual pc 6. I know that there are emulators available, i just don't which one i should use and where to locate one.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Re: furhter...

Originally posted by mayzenb
how can i then run exe. files, without converting on my MAc with out purchasing virtual pc 6.

Steal it :D

Sorry, just kidding.... VPC is at this moment the only PC emulator on OS X which runs reasonable. Other emulators are quite experimental, and generally (even) slower.
The highly anticipated Real PC for OS X is "around the corner", promising to be faster.... but I wouldn't wait for it.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
if the .EXE has the source code available, you could port the source code and recompile it with developer tools, hah. good luck with that.

ima_pseudonym

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2002
Why don't you give us a bit more info. Which .exe programs do you need to open? Maybe people can suggest alternative mac programs. Why are you so against using VPC? Is it a money issue? I suspect some of the wise-a$$ answers are just because you haven't given enough of a description of the problem.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Re: furhter...

Originally posted by mayzenb
how can i then run exe. files, without converting on my MAc with out purchasing virtual pc 6. I know that there are emulators available, i just don't which one i should use and where to locate one.

Simple answer -- you cannot run .exe files on a Macintosh.

You can open them only on Intel x86 hardware, real (PCs) or simulated (that'd be VPC, the only emulator worth a ****).

You can peruse others here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.