Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drater

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
iTunes 7.4.1

Just got the message for 7.4.1, anyone else get this yet? Is this new? did I miss something?

Attachments

• 7.4.1.jpg
    7.4.1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 251

jt2ga65

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
geez. I just installed 7.4 yesterday.

I bet this is to address the problems that people were having with syncing after installing 7.4, although I don't recall having any problems yesterday.

-jt2

drater

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
uh-oh i guess they addressed the free ringtones faster than we though... did you download it? Does it do anything?

i haven't tested it yet, but I am going to use iToner in a few minutes (once my buddy stops playing with my iPhone ::smack::)) Will let you guys know about that.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
I was more concerned with the free ringtone "hack" through itunes but yeah tell us your results

Yep, iTunes 7.4.1 breaks the custom ringtones. Funny how they can get a "fix" out for this in less than 24 hours eh? :rolleyes:

From itoner or the free ones you can do yourself through itunes

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Yep, iTunes 7.4.1 breaks the custom ringtones. Funny how they can get a "fix" out for this in less than 24 hours eh? :rolleyes:

drater

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
Yep, iTunes 7.4.1 breaks the custom ringtones. Funny how they can get a fix out for this in less than 24 hours eh? :rolleyes:

ouch, that is a hard blow to us little poor people. When are we going to be able to buy them? anyone know?

Also, iToner seems to work fine. I sync'd my iPhone, then sync'd it with iToner, unplugged the iPhone, plugged it back in, and sync'd with iTunes. Took it off the charger and the ringtones are still there. So far so good.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
So, it sounds like we should avoid updating for now, if we want to enjoy the free ringtones for the time being.

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
ouch, that is a hard blow to us little poor people. When are we going to be able to buy them? anyone know?

Also, iToner seems to work fine. I sync'd my iPhone, then sync'd it with iToner, unplugged the iPhone, plugged it back in, and sync'd with iTunes. Took it off the charger and the ringtones are still there. So far so good.

This is with 7.4.1? Thats cool.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Ahhh! This is like the week of iPhone craziness, and of course it has to be the week I'm waiting for my own iPhone to be delivered. Thanks for ruining the fun Apple!

Well, 99¢ is pretty reasonable for a ringtone, considering that they're almost $4 each for my current phone. Still, Apple shouldn't come and ruin the fun. :(

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
that's an easy fix. I'd just copy the ringtone to my desktop, change the name, and drag it into iToner. Not a whole lot of work. Hopefully they don't go after iToner next, but I'm sure they will.

iTunes gets the name info out of the ID3 tags. No matter what you change the filename it, it will always show up as the song title in the ID3 tags. I didn't like that. I also don't like using payware like iToner. I will continue dragging ringtones over with SFTP.

Well, 99¢ is pretty reasonable for a ringtone, considering that they're almost $4 each for my current phone. Still, Apple shouldn't come and ruin the fun. :(

No it's not. I can play music through the speaker on my phone for free. Why does it cost $.99 to make it play that music when the phone rings? What is the difference?!?! Ringtones should be free.

If I'm in a band and I record a song, I should be able to do whatever I want with it. It's my song. Why won't Apple let me set it as a ringtone? It's total BS.

drater

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
iTunes gets the name info out of the ID3 tags. No matter what you change the filename it, it will always show up as the song title in the ID3 tags. I didn't like that. I also don't like using payware like iToner. I will continue dragging ringtones over with SFTP.

I was talking about using iToner, I think you might have miss understood me. I take the mp3 I want, drag it to my desk top, instead of being ctu24ringtone.mp3, I change it to ctu.mp3. When I put it in iToner and sync it up with my iPhone it works perfectly. I understand you don't like to use payware as you stated, I don't know why, but everyone is different, but you can try it for free. Its worth a try to see what I'm talking about. But that's up to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.