Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
With:

- microSD 1GB going for $8
- microSD 2GB going for $20
- microSDHC 4GB going for $55
- microSDHC 8GB announced

- SDHC 8GB going for $70

It only makes sense to use on-board flash for the largest capacity iPods of each model.

Of course, then few people would choose the iPods with onboard memory if they are not expandable, too.

Because that's what's best for customers. It shouldn't be about what's best for Apple.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yeah, yeah, and they should support Ogg-Vorbis, every single feature of OS X should be tweakable like Linux and Macs should support 50,000 piece-of-junk peripherals, and Apple should get into the $200 computer market.

I guess I'm happier with the way Apple does things than I am with that.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
I guess I'm happier with the way Apple does things than I am with that.

As a rule, so am I. But I wish iPod touch (if not the other models) had just one expansion slot, like the one for the iPhone's SIM card.

It sure would be nice to be able to slip in an extra 8GB SDHC card (today!), and up to 32GB in the next few years.

I don't think any customers would disagree with a product having plenty of internal memory, but also a slot for expansion. No added complexity (if you don't use it, you don't think about it), but the people who know about it will love it.

But, alas, it's not the Apple way.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
As a rule, so am I. But I wish iPod touch (if not the other models) had just one expansion slot, like the one for the iPhone's SIM card.

It sure would be nice to be able to slip in an extra 8GB SDHC card (today!), and up to 32GB in the next few years.
That would be nice, but then one could have virtually unlimited storage, which would negate the desire to buy a new iPod upon release.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
With:

- microSD 1GB going for $8
- microSD 2GB going for $20
- microSDHC 4GB going for $55
- microSDHC 8GB announced

- SDHC 8GB going for $70

It only makes sense to use on-board flash for the largest capacity iPods of each model.

Of course, then few people would choose the iPods with onboard memory if they are not expandable, too.

Because that's what's best for customers. It shouldn't be about what's best for Apple.

:rolleyes:

That not really how Apple funtions...either take it, or don't buy an iPod. I like my iPods small, so no SD support is fine for me!

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
There are two issues here.

First is the complexity issue. Adding some features-- Internal radio, OGG support, FLAC support, etc.-- add complexity to iPod that confuses the general public. That's why Apple doesn't include them.

The other issue is the "Apple" issue. iPods are selling fine without an expansion slot and so, while it wouldn't have a complexity issue, it's not going to happen anytime soon. If iPod market share starts to decline, and easy expandability is a major reason (I doubt it will be, of course), then you might see Apple add a slot.

But not soon.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Now here I'll be a little more open-minded than I was the first time around...

When you have one of these devices that accepts micro SD or whatever, are any of these devices auto-managed by the music jukebox app in the kind of way an iPod is? If so, how automated is this process? Can you plug in the SD whenever you want, and then have the computer use it automatically the next time it syncs? What happens if you hot (or for that matter, cold) unplug it at some point without re-syncing?

I'm genuinely asking these questions... I've never used any MP3 player other than Apple's....

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Apple buys so much flash that they could start selling cheap, quality microSDHC and SDHC cards for ANYTHING.
The volume of chips they handle would allow them to be a major player in such a commodity business. THAT would be a radical transformation of the Apple way, not opening their devices a bit (there would still exist the battery issue).

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Wouldn't this feature make the players bigger, even if only slightly so? It's hard to imagine the new nano still being so small with this.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Wouldn't this feature make the players bigger, even if only slightly so? It's hard to imagine the new nano still being so small with this.

a microSD is very small
250px-Microsd1024.jpg

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
They still need to make space for the socket and door for it. It might not add much, but it would add some.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I can understand why they don't but I wish they would. I might go for an 8gb Touch if it had an microSD/SD slot. The 16gb is just a bit pricey for me, and the 8gb isn't going to cut it, but if I could get an 8gb and add 4gb in a few months, and do another 8gb in a year I'd certainly think about it. I would also look at it as more of an investment - if the touch had expandable memory, but the other iPods didn't it would last longer and be worth the extra cash. As it is, it sort of a cool toy, but not much else.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
The question is if it could be added without making the device bigger or thicker. Looking at the teardown of a nano, it doesn't look like there's much room that isn't used.

... I think the question is not that simple, rather, I think the questions are:

1. will apple be able to pack a slot in w/o make it larger? before mini, I though its impossible to make that small a computer, so, I wouldn't say no to this

2. even if it has to be bigger, how much? consider the size of micro SD, I doubt the increase of the size would be significant, and I doubt anybody would complain about that.

3. for iPod Touch, iPhone has a SIM card at the top, and microSD is so much smaller than SIM, why iPod Touch can't have a slot for it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.