Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Well, I need a new iPod. Since my 30 GB iPod got stolen, the only one I really have is on my iPhone, which only has 8 GBs of storage...
But 16 GBs of storage sounds about right for me, and I really like the touch interface of the iPod in the iPhone. But at the same time, it seems like the iPhone does everything the iPod touch does, but more. So, I ask the people of MacRumors- Help convince me to buy an iPod touch (or another iPod)!

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
iPhone does as much and more than any of the iPods out there. If 16gb is what you're looking for and don't mind paying a premium for the interface and additional features, go for it.
You're not going to get anything "extra" out of buying a classic other than storage space.

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
The 16GB iPhone seems like the perfect item for you. They might be coming out early next year, or when it also gets released in Europe. If you stick with your 8GB iPhone, maybe try a 80GB Classic?

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Personally, it would seem kind of redundant to own two nearly-identical devices. The Classic seems like a wiser purchase.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
A little off topic, but I'm sure our buddy Steve is hoping that parents faced with that decision will decide to get the iPhone. More cash for everyone.

I'm a little surprised the iPod Touch was sold as a flash device. It would have made more sense to have a hard drive in it to differentiate it between the iPhone.

But then again if they did that, what would we have to upgrade to next year :rolleyes:

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Gah... I can't decide if I want the iPod classic or the iPod touch...
I also get $200 off at the Apple Store because my mom bought an iPhone, too (and fortunately for me, she doesn't care about her $100 credit at Apple, so she's giving it to me :D) So that means, the iPod touch would be $200, and a 160 GB clasic would be $150.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
If I had an iPhone, I would personally either go for a 8GB iPod nano or a 16GB iPod touch. I don't like the lagginess of my 5G (because its not flash) and I think that the other two would have better all around performance.

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Yeah, I remember a bit of lag when using my 5G iPod, too. I was reading that Cover Flow is also a bit slow on the iPod classics. Is that true?

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
Yeah, I remember a bit of lag when using my 5G iPod, too. I was reading that Cover Flow is also a bit slow on the iPod classics. Is that true?

Yeah, that seems like it would be right. On my 5G, I just press MENU about five times (when I'm at the Now Playing screen), wait 5 seconds, and I'm back at the main menu. It SUCKS. I'm kind of glad it died last night :D

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Well, I need a new iPod. Since my 30 GB iPod got stolen, the only one I really have is on my iPhone, which only has 8 GBs of storage...
But 16 GBs of storage sounds about right for me, and I really like the touch interface of the iPod in the iPhone. But at the same time, it seems like the iPhone does everything the iPod touch does, but more. So, I ask the people of MacRumors- Help convince me to buy an iPod touch (or another iPod)!

I wouldn't buy another device if you already have the iPhone. I would suggest making better use of the iPhone. Maximize your storage by compressing movies down to around 600MB and rotate playlists regularly. You're never going to watch or listen to your entire collection in between charges.

Even if money is no object there is something to be said for simplicity. Carrying more than one iPod or iPhone defeats the purpose of the newer streamlined form factor.

Eventually another iphone with bigger storage will come along. If you already have the iPhone the touch is going to be a step backwards because you won't have EDGE access anywhere or the phone component when you want it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.