Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 9, 2007, 09:07 PM   #1
denisavu
macrumors newbie

Cannot import mp4 into iTunes

Hello all,

I am a noob to the scene, both to the Mac and iPod world. I am trying to import an mp4 file created from a DVD into iTunes' Movie library. I've tried both "importing a file" and "drag-and-drop" methods to no avail. In the latter method, on dragging a "plus" sign follows the drag but then nothing happens. Waited a couple minutes to see whether a status bar indicating the import would initiate but it does not. I am using the latest version of iTunes. Music files work fine, why not video?

Thanks for any help you all can give.

Denis
denisavu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 09:09 PM   #2
gloss
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gloss
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisavu View Post
Hello all,

I am a noob to the scene, both to the Mac and iPod world. I am trying to import an mp4 file created from a DVD into iTunes' Movie library. I've tried both "importing a file" and "drag-and-drop" methods to no avail. In the latter method, on dragging a "plus" sign follows the drag but then nothing happens. Waited a couple minutes to see whether a status bar indicating the import would initiate but it does not. I am using the latest version of iTunes. Music files work fine, why not video?

Thanks for any help you all can give.

Denis
Hi Denis. I get the impression that iTunes is really picky about the way the file is tagged and such. I'd suggest getting the demo for Visualhub, setting it to mp4, and running your video through it. It'll only produce a 2 minute clip because it's a demo. See if that clip imports into iTunes without issue (which it should).
Old Sep 9, 2007, 10:59 PM   #3
denisavu
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply gloss! I actually used some manual from the internet in coding the mp4 file. Maybe I configured the conversion wrong. In fact, I am giving Handbrake a shot, actually giving the Hi-res iPod preset a shot. Will keep you posted! Thanks again!
Old Sep 10, 2007, 03:02 AM   #4
DENZIE
macrumors member

hey for converting a dvd to video (mp4) i highly recommend getting handbrake, its free and pretty easy to use, and is very customisable, for video to video conversion buy visual hub, its great
DENZIE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 06:20 AM   #5
gloss
macrumors 601

Quote:
Thanks for the reply gloss! I actually used some manual from the internet in coding the mp4 file. Maybe I configured the conversion wrong. In fact, I am giving Handbrake a shot, actually giving the Hi-res iPod preset a shot. Will keep you posted! Thanks again!
The presets should work like a charm. I did some conversions yesterday with them and didn't have any issues.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 07:03 AM   #6
awmazz
macrumors 65816

Try changing .mp4 extension to .m4v
awmazz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 10:08 AM   #7
nirvana06
macrumors regular

make sure file name is not too long
nirvana06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 10:11 AM   #8
gloss
macrumors 601

throw a pinch of salt over your left shoulder, stamp three times, and spin in a circle.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 06:41 PM   #9
denisavu
macrumors newbie

Hooray for Handbrake! Used the Hi-Rez preset and it worked like a charm. Just to let everyone know that I was able to migrate all my mp3's to the Mac environment using Senuti - what a great application!
Old Sep 10, 2007, 07:03 PM   #10
gloss
macrumors 601

Quote:
Hooray for Handbrake! Used the Hi-Rez preset and it worked like a charm. Just to let everyone know that I was able to migrate all my mp3's to the Mac environment using Senuti - what a great application!
Good to hear, sir. Senuti is indeed a useful app.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 03:04 PM   #11
timhood
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by awmazz View Post
Try changing .mp4 extension to .m4v
Yeah, I know this is an old thread, but people still search for it (like me).

This was the answer for me. I had been using RipIt to convert to High Quality MP4. I think I'll switch to High Quality M4V now.
timhood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 08:09 PM   #12
kumquat
macrumors regular

I'd just like to add that since the roll out of iTunes 11 a lot of people have been confused thinking their mp4s are not being added and really they are being added but just to the Home Movies folder instead of the Movies folder.
kumquat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store