Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Sep 14, 2007, 06:53 AM   #1
Rendition
macrumors member

iPod Touch Screen Quality Sucks vs. iPhone

I got my 16GB iTouch yesterday and Iím not happy. I donít know what PC Magazine is smoking (maybe they got a better version), but my iPod Touch screen quality is VERY inferior to my iPhone. The color quality and punch isnít there.

If you know about LCD monitors, itís almost like they used a TN-quality panel vs. S-IPS on the iPhone. The colors almost have a dither quality, the black levels are not as good, and the viewing angles are much smaller/worse. Sigh! I may return it.

I remember when I first saw a movie on iPHone, I was speech less.. It was so awesome, breath-taking. The same movie on iPod Touch. Ugly, disappointing.

Here's my unboxing pictures: http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001894.html
Old Sep 14, 2007, 07:26 AM   #2
Evangelion
macrumors 68040

It seems to me some of the touch's have screen-issues but not all of them.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 07:29 AM   #3
carman63
macrumors regular

I expected to see a stand (vs dock) in that picture.

I guess I'll head over to Micheal's craft store and buy a very small easel/stand thing.

Also, re: the display. We're not going to have the "5 vs 7 series" display discussions on the Touch TOO, are we?
carman63 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 07:29 AM   #4
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

Return it and get another one. Let us know if the new one has the same issues.
Compile 'em all is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:39 AM   #5
IUBall22
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendition View Post
I got my 16GB iTouch yesterday and Iím not happy. I donít know what PC Magazine is smoking (maybe they got a better version), but my iPod Touch screen quality is VERY inferior to my iPhone. The color quality and punch isnít there.

If you know about LCD monitors, itís almost like they used a TN-quality panel vs. S-IPS on the iPhone. The colors almost have a dither quality, the black levels are not as good, and the viewing angles are much smaller/worse. Sigh! I may return it.

I remember when I first saw a movie on iPHone, I was speech less.. It was so awesome, breath-taking. The same movie on iPod Touch. Ugly, disappointing.

Here's my unboxing pictures: http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001894.html
i think the touch's screen is better if anything. remember, make sure you look in settings and set the brightness the way you like it. i turned the brightness all the way up, which i think is better than how it is coming out of the box.
IUBall22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:42 AM   #6
clevin
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compile 'em all View Post
Return it and get another one. Let us know if the new one has the same issues.
exactly my suggestion
clevin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:50 AM   #7
Maxington
macrumors 6502

Is the iPod Touch screen the same material as the iPhone?
Maxington is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:51 AM   #8
IUBall22
macrumors 6502

guys im telling you, turn up the brightness in settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxington View Post
Is the iPod Touch screen the same material as the iPhone?
yes

Last edited by devilot; Sep 14, 2007 at 12:55 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
IUBall22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:53 AM   #9
lofight
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Wow nice keyboard, where did you get it?
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:56 AM   #10
Rendition
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofight View Post
Wow nice keyboard, where did you get it?
It's the Mac Kensington Keyboard, I got it from Amazon for like $39 I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUBall22 View Post
yes
The screen is DEFINITELY different than my iPhone. Quality and the feel when you press your finger against it. I think the screens are definitely made at different factories.

Last edited by devilot; Sep 14, 2007 at 12:56 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
Rendition is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:59 AM   #11
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/tes...een-299774.php
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:59 AM   #12
electricrenaiss
macrumors member

Quote:
The screen is DEFINITELY different than my iPhone. Quality and the feel when you press your finger against it. I think the screens are definitely made at different factories.
How's it different? In a good way or bad?
electricrenaiss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:05 AM   #13
apodacainc
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to apodacainc Send a message via MSN to apodacainc Send a message via Yahoo to apodacainc
iPod Touch Screen Quality Sucks vs. iPhone

GASP!!! Kensington? How dare you connect that to a mac! That's like putting a pvc pipe on a Harley Davidson's exhaust. Ur mac prolly feels like it's got a thermometer in it's butthole. Take it out! The new slim line keyboard is phenom!
apodacainc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:17 AM   #14
gloss
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gloss
That Gizmodo article is a shame, if true.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:19 AM   #15
Rendition
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrenaiss View Post
How's it different? In a good way or bad?
Well you already read my screen issues. Tactile feel seems a bit more friction, but it isn't bad at all.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:23 AM   #16
electricrenaiss
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloss View Post
That Gizmodo article is a shame, if true.
Yea! I really hope this is an issue that's not too widespread. It's going to bring a lot of people down but I wonder how many people would actually realize that it's an issue or even care?

Another interesting article on the Touch:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...ut-ipod-touch/

Last edited by devilot; Sep 14, 2007 at 12:56 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:46 AM   #17
jmpage2
macrumors 68030

Well, this is making it's way all over the Intertubes with example videos, etc. It looks pretty bad. Maybe someone watching 'Family Guy' clips won't care, but certainly those watching movies are going to be pissed if they get a screen with washed out blacks that don't look at all right.

Some people are claiming that they don't have the problem which could point to more than one source for the screens.

Apple better get a grip on this quick. Things like this have a way of snowballing on them.... remember the 1st Nano screens and how badly they scratched?

An even bigger issue for me is the reports of sub-par audio quality (background noise and hiss).

If I'm going to spend $400 on a DAP I expect top flight audio performance, not hissing like a tape deck.
jmpage2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:47 AM   #18
gloss
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gloss
from the iLounge article:

Quote:
Screen Differences: Though it shares the same resolution and size, the screen isnít exactly the same as iPhoneís. The screenís contrast initially seems a bit better, with darker blacks, but itís easier to make blacks go negative on the wrong viewing angleómore so than on recent hard disk-based iPods, too. Like iPhone, iPod touch still has a brightness sensor with automatic adjustment as an option; there still arenít contrast or color controls.
Have you guys done off-axis vs. straight on image comparisons?
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:48 AM   #19
electricrenaiss
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Well, this is making it's way all over the Intertubes with example videos, etc. It looks pretty bad. Maybe someone watching 'Family Guy' clips won't care, but certainly those watching movies are going to be pissed if they get a screen with washed out blacks that don't look at all right.

Some people are claiming that they don't have the problem which could point to more than one source for the screens.

Apple better get a grip on this quick. Things like this have a way of snowballing on them.... remember the 1st Nano screens and how badly they scratched?

An even bigger issue for me is the reports of sub-par audio quality (background noise and hiss).

If I'm going to spend $400 on a DAP I expect top flight audio performance, not hissing like a tape deck.
Also notice what they say about the battery life. It's not what Apple claimed at least on the video side. My biggest worry when I get my Touch is the display issue.

I don't understand the PC World review that said that the iPod Touch display is actually better than that of the iPhone becasue majority of the reports seem to indicate the opposite. Why the disconnect?

Last edited by devilot; Sep 14, 2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:58 AM   #20
jmpage2
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Also notice what they say about the battery life. It's not what Apple claimed at least on the video side. My biggest worry when I get my Touch is the display issue.
Ya, this has me pretty bummed out. I'm now of a mind to kill my Touch pre-order and wait till the next version of the device comes out in a year or so and they fix this crap.

jmpage2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 11:14 AM   #21
shoelessone
macrumors 6502

Well, I'll probably wait to pass judgement until I get to see one of these myself, but it never feels good to get your hopes smashed by reports like these

If need be, I'll purchase/return the things until I get a high quality display, if that's what it takes.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 11:15 AM   #22
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Yahoo to madmaxmedia
Quote:
I don't understand the PC World review that said that the iPod Touch display is actually better than that of the iPhone becasue majority of the reports seem to indicate the opposite. Why the disconnect?
I think there is some variation in the screens. IIRC PC Mag also did say that the Touch looked better when viewed straight on, but at off-angles the iPhone was better.
madmaxmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 11:38 AM   #23
electricrenaiss
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmedia View Post
I think there is some variation in the screens. IIRC PC Mag also did say that the Touch looked better when viewed straight on, but at off-angles the iPhone was better.
I guess it's pretty much official now that the iPhone and Touch display is NOT the same. Do you think the difference lies in the actual hardware or is this something that can be "corrected" with a software patch?
Old Sep 14, 2007, 11:54 AM   #24
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Yahoo to madmaxmedia
Quote:
I guess it's pretty much official now that the iPhone and Touch display is NOT the same. Do you think the difference lies in the actual hardware or is this something that can be "corrected" with a software patch?
I don't think even Touch owners know right now. It makes me wonder if I should wait a few days before getting a Touch, I was gonna wait for it to get hacked first anyways.

Playing video is a major feature for me, so I want to make sure it's good. I was impressed with image quality on the iPhone, hopefully the Touch will ultimately be as good.
madmaxmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 11:56 AM   #25
electricrenaiss
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmedia View Post
I don't think even Touch owners know right now. It makes me wonder if I should wait a few days before getting a Touch, I was gonna wait for it to get hacked first anyways.

Playing video is a major feature for me, so I want to make sure it's good. I was impressed with image quality on the iPhone, hopefully the Touch will ultimately be as good.
I agree and to my point earlier, how many Touch owners will even realize that it is an issue if it really is? They might think its just normal. Unless there are any videophiles who can notice this right away, most people will just ignore it.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch