Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Hey guys! Just got my 8 gb iPod Touch from the local BestBuy and it is awesome. I have some un-boxing photos on here(on my flickr account) and have recorded high definition un-boxing and syncing videos that I will upload as soon as I find a suitable host for the files. I will be covering the un-boxing, syncing, music/video playback, wifi, and iTunes wifi in the videos. Please post with any questions you have, comments, or things you would like to see me review.

You can find my photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22251745@N00/sets/72157602017132093/

High Definition (720p) Video

All HD videos are uploaded and played using stage6. Firefox is highly recommended as whenever you visit the link for the first time in Firefox it will ask you if you want to install the divx web player. The install takes about 5 seconds and you don't even have to restart Firefox to use it. 5 second install for hd video isn't too bad eh? If you aren't using Firefox then Stage6 may or may not be supported depending on your browser(I believe you can download the divx web player from http://www.divx.com). And without further delay:

1. iPod Touch Unboxing
Length: 6:05
Posted: Sept. 16th

2. iPod Touch Syncing
Length: 5:16
Posted: Sept. 17th

3. iPod Touch Wifi
Length: 19:23
Posted: Sept. 19th

4. iPod Touch Music/Video Playback
Length: ???
Posted: ???

5. iPod Touch iTunes(wireless)

6. iPod Touch Conclusions

colto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
one word "focus"

This was shot using a macro lens. A depth of field is expected when taking photos of small objects. The pictures are much more in focus than the initial pictures we received.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
depth of field?

Attachments

• 1382091041_a00986e0e0[1].jpg
    1382091041_a00986e0e0[1].jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 300

colto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
this post brought to you on an iPod Touch. Macrumors works great on it!:)

depth of field?

Yes. Focus was reverted to my hand due to the iPod's glossiness reflecting the background and making my camera freak out. I didn't have a tripod on hand or anything to help me hold it so I just went with it. Sure the focus is soft but if your seriously complaining about it...

trevorlsciact

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
Orlando FL
Yes. Focus was reverted to my hand due to the iPod's glossiness reflecting the background and making my camera freak out. I didn't have a tripod on hand or anything to help me hold it so I just went with it. Sure the focus is soft but if your seriously complaining about it...

I'm not complaining. *glares at the negative people*

Rocksta

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
I appreciate it Colto. Glad you got hold of one. looks like the online orders might take a while outside of America. I kind of like the wait though, it's agony and ecstacy at the same time. :D

colto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Reminder youtube looks like crap and wouldn't do the HD video justice.

This is true but I will plan on doing both for those who don't want to wait for a download. :) I am trying to pick a good streaming HD site, possibly stage6, I just need to check all the details to make sure everything is easy to use and compatible with OS X and Windows. I will try to have the first 1 or 2 videos up tomorrow though.

colto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Is there any chance you could get one of the videos up on youtube tonight?

Not possible tonight but I will get it up tomorrow. Anyone have anything they want me to review? So far I have made videos for unboxing and syncing.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
A video showing you using Gmail and Macrumors would be lovely.
Much appreciated.
~Dray

Yeah I'll second this request please! I'd love to see the Safari browser in action to get an idea of how useable the iPod Touch would be as an "internet tablet" (I have no need for yet another iPod but the wi-fi part is interesting). A video of posting on MR would be good to see how much screen space you have and how easy it is to type on, etc. Thanks :)

colto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Yeah I'll second this request please! I'd love to see the Safari browser in action to get an idea of how useable the iPod Touch would be as an "internet tablet" (I have no need for yet another iPod but the wi-fi part is interesting). A video of posting on MR would be good to see how much screen space you have and how easy it is to type on, etc. Thanks :)

I will definitely do that. I personally find the internet experience quite enjoyable. Typing takes about 10 minutes to get used to and then it's not too bad. Much better than typing on a cell phone. Typing gets even easier when you turn the keyboard sideways to type. The only real bugger is the fact that there is no flash support. I am hoping for hacks to fix that later on but I don't know how hard that would be.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I will definitely do that. I personally find the internet experience quite enjoyable. Typing takes about 10 minutes to get used to and then it's not too bad. Much better than typing on a cell phone. Typing gets even easier when you turn the keyboard sideways to type. The only real bugger is the fact that there is no flash support. I am hoping for hacks to fix that later on but I don't know how hard that would be.

Thanks. I have a Nokia internet tablet, which I use for travelling - it runs Opera on a Linux OS, with an 800px wide screen... I know the iPod touch has a smaller screen but I'm just curious to see how it compares. The internet tablet I have uses a stylus for either handwriting (very poor) or on-screen keyboard (pretty good). I'm in the UK so haven't had a chance to play with an iPhone or the new touch yet...

ynblood

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
Video Import

Just curious what program will you guys/gals use to load video on the Itouch? I have a PSP and use PSP Creator and that works very well for the PSP. I was just wondering what is your opinion of a good program.

Also can the cover flow art be added to the Itouch manually? I don't have one yet but probably this week if I can find one.

Take Care
YB :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.