Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
Well what is your budget and what are you looking to do with your camera?

I'm a high school student and I have a ton of experience in film making, yet I don;t even have a camera. I'm look for a camera that can do excellent SD quality in low light, and also produce movie like gamma and levels.

I've already been looking at the Panasonic GS500, but that's also about $150 out of my budget.

colto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
I'm a high school student and I have a ton of experience in film making, yet I don;t even have a camera. I'm look for a camera that can do excellent SD quality in low light, and also produce movie like gamma and levels.

I've already been looking at the Panasonic GS500, but that's also about $150 out of my budget.
Awesome. I started film at a very young age and am now a co-founder of production house(I am 18). I have had a ton of film experience as well with live TV shows, live sporting event coverage, a couple feature films, a bunch of shorts, and countless FX tests. I now do special/visual effects, compositing, color grading, editing, mixing, and most of the cinematography. While I have gone through some expensive cameras(XL-2s, HDR-FX1, etc.) in production, it all really comes down to how you use the camera. Sure 108p 24F on a 3 - 1/2" CMOS is awesome (or even a RED One ;) ), but it doesn't matter if you don't know how to use it correctly. In my opinion I would get something that performs relatively well in low light, has good audio options/inputs(audio is a pain and usually harder than the video itself. Not to mention the fact that without good audio your movie will feel VERY cheap.)and lens options. Get a decent SD camera, wide angle lens, UV/Polarization/Fluorescent filters, and a boom mic. Personally I always find it worth it to never compromise on any camera features. If I were you I would save until you could buy a GS500 as they are pretty good for SD amateur films(I used to own a GS400). When you can, get a decent boom. To be honest I bought Chinese one for $30 on eBay that performed every bit as well as my $300 Sony. From there, base your equipment on your film. Use home lamps and your umbrella for a home-made light kit or build a dolly out of skateboard wheels, plywood, and PVC if needed. Where there is a will, there is a way. Just let your content speak for itself. Never lose sight of the film's objective. If you need help with anything my personal email is: thatguyyoulove@gmail.com.

colto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Haha dude, ****! Stop talking and get the other vid(s) uploaded!! I can't wait!!

I am re-uploading video 2 using a different encoding profile that is standardized. Hopefully it will increase the authorization process when I try and get it published. We shall see. The damn video has been finished for 7 hours! It would be nice if others could see it :)

--Wolf--

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Chch, New Zealand
Shove it on YouTube in the meantime maybe?

Tho I dunno if you're only uploading the syncing one atm, because I'm not dead keen to see that, but if it's one of the others (wi-fi, or more importantly music) then I can't wait.

colto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Shove it on YouTube in the meantime maybe?

Tho I dunno if you're only uploading the syncing one atm, because I'm not dead keen to see that, but if it's one of the others (wi-fi, or more importantly music) then I can't wait.

Haha yeah it is the syncing video. Nothing really exciting. Just shows what the iPod will show when you connect, how to sync it, and showing the interface as far as playing the album that I just synced. You also find out what was in that little white package I never opened in the first video.:rolleyes: Oh and YouTube would mean I would have to re-encode my video to a suitable format at a smaller size and then wait for it to upload, get published, etc. It would take a few hours...

--Wolf--

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Chch, New Zealand
Oh ok, do what you're originally doing then.

And when you get around to the music playback, can you show browsing by artist/song please? All the vids I've seen are people using coverflow, which isn't cool if you don't have albums listed to your songs like me! :D

And feedback on the first vid, I know if I was making a video, I would've put the camera down that many times to peel/open the things. I wouldn't have the patience to use one hand for those challenging tasks lol..

colto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Oh ok, do what you're originally doing then.

And when you get around to the music playback, can you show browsing by artist/song please? All the vids I've seen are people using coverflow, which isn't cool if you don't have albums listed to your songs like me! :D

And feedback on the first vid, I know if I was making a video, I would've put the camera down that many times to peel/open the things. I wouldn't have the patience to use one hand for those challenging tasks lol..

Haha yeah but I wanted to make sure you guys saw everything. I will try and go grab one of my tripods from my studio for the next videos, would make it a lot smoother. And I will definitely do the artist thing. I too have a lot of songs not tied to albums.

colto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Second video has reached publishing status. Here is to hoping it works!:)

Something must have been wrong with my first encoding because Video 2 is ONLINE!

2. iPod Touch Syncing
Length: 5:16
Posted: Sept. 17th

--Wolf--

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Chch, New Zealand
Awesome! Dunno what time it is over there (I assume the US) but here in NZ it's almost 6pm Monday night so I'll still be waiting for it for quite some time, so don't think you can get away without showing me the vid tonight!! Lol :D

And if it's possible, when you get around to wi-fi, could I make a request on a couple of websites? You don't have to, but first being http://www.gamespot.com and second being http://www.pressf1.co.nz

Those will be the sites I mainly use when I get my Touch at the end of the month so I wanna see if they work good.

EDIT: Will tell you if it's any good in 5 mins :p

EDIT2: It's a stand, use it!! Lol, good so far

EDIT3: Is that an Eclispe keyboard?

EDIT4: Guess you didn't need to blur the serial?

EDIT5:

Very good video. Only a couple of suggestions, maybe place the Touch flat on a table and use your finger to touch, keeps it more steady and will hopefully prevent the tiny prob you had when you went into music for the first time.

Keep it up.

colto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Yes it is an eclipse :)

EDIT: Nope on the serial. You actually have to post serials online for these kind of things on eBay. It just identifies the iPod. The number is already tied to my iTunes account...

EDIT5: Very good video. Only a couple of suggestions, maybe place the Touch flat on a table and use your finger to touch, keeps it more steady and will hopefully prevent the tiny prob you had when you went into music for the first time.

Keep it up.

Yep. I think I will do the remaining videos in 1080p, with a tripod, and on a steady surface.

rloechner

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2007
3. iPod Touch Wifi
Length: ???
Posted: planned for Sept. 17th

... this will be my deciding factor, how well wifi and web pages handle with the iTouch. you still plan on releasing a video of the wifi 'in use?' and if so can you go some where like, espn.com and give an example of filling out forums online on the iTouch?

thanks for your videos so far! :apple:

colto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
... this will be my deciding factor, how well wifi and web pages handle with the iTouch. you still plan on releasing a video of the wifi 'in use?' and if so can you go some where like, espn.com and give an example of filling out forums online on the iTouch?

thanks for your videos so far! :apple:

I'm about to film it (in about 10 minutes actually!). I will do some forms in the demo!

wonginator1221

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2007
Nice vids...

It would be nice to see some video running on it too. Also can you use a tripod;) you can use both your hands. Just get some black posterboard as a background.

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2007
USA
u would think someone with all of your "experience" and an HD camera would have a tripod.:rolleyes: I have been making films for a long time now and doing tv stuff for a bit, just like you. How can you not have a tri-pod? Come on now.

colto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
u would think someone with all of your "experience" and an HD camera would have a tripod.:rolleyes: I have been making films for a long time now and doing tv stuff for a bit, just like you. How can you not have a tri-pod? Come on now.

I am currently using a tripod on the third video now.:)

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2007
USA
I am currently using a tripod on the third video now.:)

Awesome, thank a lot. By the way, thanks for doing all of this. I think I speak on behalf of everyone with a pre-order that hasnt shipped yet when i say that lol:) Keep it up!

thesdx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2007
In your next video, could you demo the calendar, calc, clock, contacts, and settings? I haven't seen what they look like yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.