Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robisc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2002
Athens, AL
I decided to build a G4 and got the parts here, I have a Gigabit Ethernet board with a 1GHz CPU upgrade, also a Mac flashed Geforce AGP card, my problem is that everything seems to be working (or so it seems) but when I power up the machine I get no video, I have a HDD that was in a PC and it has no Mac OS on it (probably has Windoze on it) but I am booting with my OSX CD in the drive, but still I get no video, does this sound like a video card problem or something else?

robisc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2002
Athens, AL
I am going to have to get an Apple keyboard in order to do this correct? Teh Apple keyboard I have is a wireless and doen;t seem to work until the system is booted into the OS. Here is another issue, according to Giga Design's site there is this info:

IMPORTANT:
If Operating System and Firmware updates are needed, they should be done BEFORE installing the G-Celerator.

Boot the system in Mac OS 9.2.1 or 9.2.2, and from the Apple Menu select and open Apple System Profiler. Click on the triangle next to Production Information, and locate the Boot ROM version. If the version number is $0004.28f1, or the system is a Quicksilver or Quicksilver 2002 model, you may proceed to step number 4.

IMPORTANT:
If the system has an earlier firmware version, and is one of the following models, a firmware update is required for the system to operate.

Model Name

Original Processor Speeds

AGP Graphics
(Sawtooth)

350MHz / 400MHz / 450MHz / 500MHz

Mac Server G4

450MHz / 500MHz

Gigabit Ethernet

400MHz / 450MHz (Dual) / 500MHz (Dual)

Digital Audio

466MHz / 533MHz / 533MHz (Dual) / 667MHz / 733MHz

Quicksilver

733MHz / 800MHz (Dual) / 867MHz

Quicksilver 2002

800MHz / 933MHz / 1GHz (Dual)

My system was a gigabit ethernet and had a 400 MHz CPU in it, I don't have the CPU and I don't know of a way to get the firmware updated without being able to boot it up do you?

robisc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2002
Athens, AL
That is the problem I can't boot into OS 9 because there is no OS installed and even if there was I get no video with this CPU and don't have the original CPU, so I need another way to upgrade the firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.