Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Sep 18, 2007, 01:53 AM   #1
ultimateceej
macrumors regular

Transfer files between partitions (BootCamp)

I was reading the "A New Mac Tip Every Day" blog and came across a post about aliasing and how it might be used for file transfers between a mac and windows partition.

Here it is:

Quote:
dfolse56 said...

I found creating an alias useful as an easy file transfer between the Mac OSX desktop and Windows desktop when using bootcamp for a windows partition.

I just created a new folder on the windows desktop through the disc image in the Mac OS, then created an alias to it on the Mac desktop. Now I thats an easy and useful file transfer between partitions!

September 13, 2007 4:20 AM
Will anyone please explain this for me? I might be missing something stupid but oh well. Here is the link. It's the second post from the bottom.
ultimateceej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 06:44 AM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Well an alias is simply a shortcut to a file or folder kept elsewhere. If the Windows side of Boot Camp can read and write with the OSX side and vice versa, the aliases (and shortcuts in Windows) could be a good way of keeping data in one place but being able to easily access it in either. It should save on some basic doubling up.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 01:11 PM   #3
ultimateceej
macrumors regular

Do you know how to do this? I can't write to anything on my windows partition (duh) so I don't know where to start.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 06:26 AM   #4
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Well you could reformat the Windows partition as FAT32... It's probably easier to have a third partition dedicated to files you'll be using on both machines. From here it's easy to set up regular aliases and shortcuts to access these files.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:21 PM   #5
ultimateceej
macrumors regular

I think that I'll just get an external HD and format it for windows and mac (FAT32 ??). I was just wondering how that person that I mentioned was able to create an alias for a folder on the Windows partition and R/W to it from both partitions.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 05:40 AM   #6
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

If the Windows partition was formatted as FAT32 then it would have been as simple as what you'll be doing with the external drive.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:24 PM   #7
ultimateceej
macrumors regular

Ok thanks for the hep!
Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:29 AM   #8
dillanmakins
macrumors newbie

shortcut files from windows to os lion bootcamp

Hi,

I am running both OSX Lion and Windows 7 on my mac machine through boot camp. I need to know how to create a short cut to my files so i can save them in one place but read/write on both sides of the partition (windows and mac).

I can access them but cannot write to the file location as it tells me i do not have permission.

The windows partition formate is NTFS

Thanks heaps
dillanmakins is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X