Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
I have some serious problems with my Linksys wireless router + 4 port switch.

Every so often it seems to get stuck and I can't connect to it. I then press the reset button briefly and clear all packets and it will work again.

The problem is that every so often when I do this the whole router is reset and I end up having to enter all of the setup information again. Worse, sometimes it gets really messed up when the whole router gets reset.

Two days ago it happened and when I set it up again, it wouldn't connect to my modem. I just kept resetting it and leaving the power off for a while. Finally, two days later, it is working again.

Needless to say, this is pretty much an unacceptable situation. Anyone having similar problems? Anyone have any ideas?

Matthew

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
I have the same router, and I also occasionally have to reset it to et things moving. However, I'm not sure what you mean by having to enter the setup information again... I've never had it lose any of the settings (mostly port fowarding).

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Linksys wireless router problems.

Originally posted by Taft
I have some serious problems with my Linksys wireless router + 4 port switch.

I've had my linksys for 4 months now and I've never had to do anything with it. I did go in and change the default settings, somewhat better for security. Other than that its run perfectly with one G4 connected by rj45, TiPB through wireless, and a Compaq laptop through wireless.

If its continues to be a problem, I'd call tech support, its free.

Good luck.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I have the same router

I reset it everyonece in a while but all my settings are saved. I woud try and update the firmware and see if that helps. There is a link the the firmware updates under the help tab. if the problem still exits... I would call tech support. How new is it? You may want to return it. I as well as others here dont have that problem.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Grrrr...

Its a bit upsetting to hear no-one else has these problems. I've updated firmware and everything. I'm starting to think I've gotten a bumb router.

It works great about 95% of the time. For the other 5% it is a major pain in the rear. And I bought it about a half a year ago, so I think its out of warrenty.

Oh well...maybe this time it won't go birzerk.

Thanks for the input, everybody.

Matthew

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.