Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's Phil Schiller was quoted by an Associated Press article about today's announcement that SIM Unlocked iPhones may become permanently disabled by upcoming iPhone updates.

Schiller clarifies that this is not an intentional move to disable unlocked iPhones:''This has nothing to do with proactively disabling a phone that is unlocked or hacked,'' Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, said in an interview. ''It's unfortunate that some of these programs have caused damage to the iPhone software, but Apple cannot be responsible for ... those consequences.''
To clarify, this appears to affect iPhones that have been specifically SIM Unlocked to use other carrier SIM cards besides AT&T. iPhones otherwise "hacked" to install 3rd party applications are unlikely to be affected in the same manner.

There has already been one tutorial on how to relock your iPhone. We'll be posting coverage of apps, tools, tutorials at our iPhone blog.

Article Link: Schiller on iPhone Unlocks and Incompatibility

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
"My pals Guido and Luigi here, they suggest you pay us. You know, to protect you. This has nothing to do with proactively jumpin' you, or nothin'. I'm just saying... it'd be real unfortunate if anything happened to you, is all..."

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
"My pals Guido and Luigi here, they suggest you pay us. You know, to protect you. This has nothing to do with proactively jumpin' you, or nothin'. I'm just saying... it'd be real unfortunate if anything happened to you, is all..."

Now *that* is about the perfect translation of Schiller's statement.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
That sounds about right... At least they aren't actively punishing those who are increasing the abilities of the iPhone for the general population just the ones who are buying 500 iPhones and selling them in China.

I think it's a very fair move on Apple's part.

DickArmAndHarT

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2004
That sounds about right... At least they aren't actively punishing those who are increasing the abilities of the iPhone for the general population just the ones who are buying 500 iPhones and selling them in China.

Sorry my friend but I don't think ANYBODY is buying iPhones to ship to china because china already has their own iPhone:eek::eek:

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
to clarify, this is NOT a New York Times story. It's an Associated Press story that happens to be on the NYT site.

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA

You mean Canda, not China. Toronto has more iPhone users per capida then any other city in the world, and ALL of them are unlocked. Due to a spat between apple and rogers, we wont be getting the iPhone legally up here for a while, and so we'll continue to hack away! (even if it means we have 2 wait to update our software).

mithun914

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
You mean Canda, not China. Toronto has more iPhone users per capida then any other city in the world, and ALL of them are unlocked. Due to a spat between apple and rogers, we wont be getting the iPhone legally up here for a while, and so we'll continue to hack away! (even if it means we have 2 wait to update our software).

I second that !

Am with u my fellow Canadian.

iliketomac

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2006
This could aslo be interpreted as another "cat & mouse" challenge to the dev team (hackers, coders, etc...) ;)

polishmacuser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Los Angeles
so you guys are telling me that i unlocked the phone now and now even if i restore it back to factory settings it will still be broken and im screwed or what? please tell me its going to be ok :( im worried

ngdesign

macrumors member
May 18, 2007
so you guys are telling me that i unlocked the phone now and now even if i restore it back to factory settings it will still be broken and im screwed or what? please tell me its going to be ok :( im worried

No need to worry brother, we'll always a way to fix things. Human nature

elcerrito494

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2006
You guys are brainwashed! OBVIOUSLY Apple is intentionally bricking the iPhone. They don't make any money if people use T-Mobile!

iliketomac

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2006

Right now as of today, NO - even if you do a full restore, your unlocked iPhone will still be unlocked but all the patched files will be gone though so this means you'll have to re-activate and jailbreak again... Just don't do an update when the new software/firmware update is released. Wait it out - and read/reasearch on the dev team's progress when they tackle the next update. Like what Steve implied, it's a Tom & Jerry sorta thing! :cool: So do not panic... yet. ;)

polishmacuser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Los Angeles
Right now as of today, NO - even if you do a full restore, your unlocked iPhone will still be unlocked but all the patched files will be gone though so this means you'll have to re-activate and jailbreak again... Just don't do an update when the new software/firmware update is released. Wait it out - and read/reasearch on the dev team's progress when they tackle the next update. Like what Steve implied, it's a Tom & Jerry sorta thing! :cool: So do not panic... yet. ;)
ok i have at&t i just dont want to pay the high prices in europe and your saying that the program unlock screwed my phone over damn it :( i just dont have to update it thats all ok.....this sucks :( a.k.a its the gui version

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Anybody wonder why it's *all* the unlock software and methods, but *none* of the third-party applications and installer hacks that have "damaged the iPhone's software

This has been covered already. The Unlock software modifies the firmware. The other installer hacks simply copies and modifies files stored in the 4/8GB Flash.

arn

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
of course

this is just a good faith attempt to get the apple loyal who happen not to be at&t loyal to get their iphones back to factory settings before the next update. anyone who unlocked their phone did so knowing the risks and understood that this was inevitable. they bought it with free knowledge of a contract to legitimately use the iphone and then worked around it. time for apple to update as they would, they, i'm sure took a few of their iphones laying around and unlocked them, applied the the update and they crashed. iphones not unlocked were unscathed. user fault. iphones can be anti unlocked, be thankful someone figured that one out, so restore your iphone, update it and then go back to doing what you want but be aware you'll have to restore it again during the next major update. nature of the beast, man, nature of the beast.

p.s. if microsoft came up with a phone zune and you unlocked it to use whatever carrier you wanted, do you really think gates or whoever would go out and say, "by the way, you might want to restore your icrapcoloredphonezune back to factory settings because we're about to release an update that might render it as useful as a brick." common, you've gotta be kidding me. apple cares, they understand someone bought an iphone but didn't want the contract, but that person is an apple customer first and they're taking care of all them.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
I love seeing Apple, the company that lived in an impenetrable castle for so many years behind proprietary hardware and software, having to fend of the wolves (i.e. hackers) now that they're on the Intel platform - with hacked versions of OS X running on AMDs and non-Apple Intels - and breaking into the cell phone market - where I reckon there's people who've been hacking and unlocking for so long and do it so well that they could out-program the entire Apple iPhone Development team combined. It's such a change of pace...

In any case, this is a losing battle Apple is fighting. Especially now that the initial unlock has been released, I bet it takes no longer than 48 hours for the iPhone hacking community to break any subsequent updates.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
time for apple to update as they would, they, i'm sure took a few of their iphones laying around and unlocked them, applied the the update and they crashed. iphones not unlocked were unscathed. user fault.

You think?

I bet it went more like this: created iPhone update, unlocked some of their iPhones, it worked perfectly, tweaked update, tried it again on unlocked iPhones, worked perfectly, tweaked again a few more times, tried it on unlocked iPhones, crash, BINGO! we have a release candidate!

chimerical

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2004
So does "other carriers" include unlocking to use the iPhone with your existing AT&T SIM cards? (This would be for those who don't want to start a new 2-year plan with a data plan, while sacrificing visual voicemail.)

seedster2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
NYC

Stop the panic:eek:

Just dont update the software until you hear otherwise. You're phone will continue to work without issue

Djspice

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
E-Town!
p.s. if microsoft came up with a phone zune and you unlocked it to use whatever carrier you wanted, do you really think gates or whoever would go out and say, "by the way, you might want to restore your icrapcoloredphonezune back to factory settings because we're about to release an update that might render it as useful as a brick." common, you've gotta be kidding me. apple cares, they understand someone bought an iphone but didn't want the contract, but that person is an apple customer first and they're taking care of all them.

This is probably one of the most intelligent things I've read in these forums in a while. Keep it up happydude!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.