Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LLPE33

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
I was just checking out CNET and saw their review of the Gigabeat and then saw the link at the bottom for their review of the new Creative Zen.

Now barring the obvious lack of integration with a program as good as iTunes for both, the lack of AAC support on the Gigabeat and the lack of Mac compatibility from Creative, what do you all think (as objectively as possible) about these other units.

I think they both seem like nice units that were I more Windows-based I'd seriously consider. I especially like the 16 GB capacity in the Zen and that it has a SD card expansion slot (for only $50 more). But compatibility issues still leave me into the Nano RED 8GB.

Anyway, I thikn the competition is definitely improving and hopefully that only pushes Apple to keep upping the ante...we shall see.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
they seem pretty good to me too. I still like the iPods better but you are right, they have improved a lot and that is good for all of us apple users and lover too because we ll get even better products from apple.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Based on sound I would take the Toshiba as they can make one of the best sounding devices out there(actually I hear that it is Kenwood that has the best sound mp3 players but Toshiba gets damn near close). However, as an all around device, I would have to say the Creative Zen, as it comes in a 16gig model and has SDHC support, which very nice for people who have 18gigs of music and then want to add some videos they have. Some people do a lot of "sharing" of videos that are in divx format and its nice to have a player that supports it with out converting.

LLPE33

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
The Zen looks like a fantastic player, frankly.

Yeah, I really wanted to get it based on its features, but the glaring problem is complete lack of compatibility with Macs. I realize that I mentioned this above, but it's just a huge error on their part (to me anyway). It's a peripheral that requires me/limits me to owning/buying Wintel machines to use it. I realize that it's not a make a break thing for them (or they'd obviously make it work with Macs) or other manufacturers, but Mac users have proven to big HUGE on digital entertainment content. From being the first mass audience to go for high-end music players to making iTunes so successful with both its music and video content. So they're keeping a rather dedicated (but not necessarily blindly so) and, on the average, affluent demographoc out of the party.

I got a RED nano last night...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.