Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 29, 2007, 06:05 PM   #1
AaronOcean
macrumors member

Restoring iMac to Factory Settings...How to?

I'm helping a friend of mine (a non tech-savy friend) by restoring his Mac to factory settings. I'm not sure why, but what he wants is for it to be wiped clean, but first I'll transfer his media and docs to an iPod for safe keep while I clear it. It's an iMac from about 8 months ago, so Intel Mac OS X.4

How do I go about restoring the computer? Do I just use the install disks?
AaronOcean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 06:06 PM   #2
psychofreak
Retired

You use the install disk, choosing Erase&Install
psychofreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 06:10 PM   #3
AaronOcean
macrumors member

I know it's a Mac I'm dealing with and everything, but is it really that simple?
AaronOcean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 04:03 AM   #4
itickings
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronOcean View Post
I know it's a Mac I'm dealing with and everything, but is it really that simple?
Yes

See Apple's info about installation options. Erase and install completely erases the destination volume, then installs a new copy of Mac OS X.

If the intent is to not only erase everything and reinstall, but to make it impossible to recover any of the previous files from the drive, check How to Erase Your Macs Hard Drive Before Selling It (OS 10.4) out.
itickings is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 06:39 AM   #5
I'm a ROb
macrumors member

Firmware

Just for the complete picture:

If your friend is a "non-tech savy", he propably didn't do a firmware update, so an erase & install should bring it back to factory defaults. If he did perform a firmware update, it will not go back to factory defaults at the time he bought the Mac, but to factory defaults as he would buy it today.

[I just assume Apple gives their computers the latest firmware when they are produced
I'm a ROb is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help