Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baboo2

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
Toronto
I just got a iphone and the weather on main menu seems to be stuck on 73 on main menu icon

Is it suppose to auto udpate ( i set it on Celius )

OR

is the main menu's just an icon that the number will never change?

Thanks,
Simon

xSeanZx

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
It is just the main menu icon. It doesn't display the real time weather in the icon.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
It's either what they said, or I'm moving to where you live. Always 73?? :)

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
This all being said, the first time I looked at the weather on my iPhone a few months ago, it actually happened to be 73 out, so I was excited by the cleverness of the auto-updating icon. When I realized it doesn't actually reflect the temperature I was a bit disappointed.... Maybe that'll make it into a later software release. It's a nice feature on the calendar icon (looking forward to it for iCal in Leopard, too).

KittyToy

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Davenport
this is the funniest stuff i have seen in a long time, are you really that dumb, you people to lazy...why not just click the button to get the real wheather like your suppose to.

dangleheart

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
62 here currently and my icon still says 73...

I think Apple just wants us to move somewhere that's always 73 so they don't have to update the icon :)

Apple wants you to move to SoCal where it is always 73 degrees. That is Southern Calahari where it is 73 degrees celsius :p

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
this is the funniest stuff i have seen in a long time, are you really that dumb, you people to lazy...why not just click the button to get the real wheather like your suppose to.

Personally, I think being able to see summary information of several things in one place is very useful. It is after all why the dashboard and widgets exist in OS X. Sure, you can click into a clock application to check the time, the weather to check the temperature, the calendar to check the date, the mail application to see if you have new messages, the phone to see if you have missed calls or voicemail, and SMS to check for new text messages. But it's a nice feature that you can already see most of those things right from the home screen on the iPhone. We're just fantasizing about the extra addition of seeing the temperature from there too.

By the way, it's "too lazy", "weather", "you're" and "supposed to". Spelling still counts in flame posts. :rolleyes:

Beery

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
I too agree that having these details automatically updated on the menu buttons would be a great thing. When I'm wondering what the weather is like outside I'm not looking for intimate details - I just want to know what the temperature is and whether or not it's raining. If I can do this by merely powering on the iphone that saves me precious seconds, and those seconds may not seem all that important at the time but after a few weeks they become saved minutes and after a few years they become saved days. After decades of iphone use those few seconds translate into weeks. Wouldn't we all like the equivalent of a few extra weeks added onto our lives?

Similarly if the Stocks button could automatically be updated with my favourite stock quote, if the clock could show the current time, text message button showing updates, etc., that would save me even more time that I could use for other purposes.

Anyone who wouldn't want such things must be tired of life. Personally I love life and I would enjoy it all the more - and longer - if I had faster access to certain information.

So here's a vote for the iphone's buttons for weather, stocks, text messages, the clock all featuring automatic updates. In my view a person would have to be an idiot to vote against such time-saving conveniences.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I'm assuming the weather isn't auto-updated as that would be a power drain after a while? (although probably too small to really matter). It needs an EDGE or wifi connection to check weather, whereas the calender is internal and only needs to change once a day, so updating is easier.

Although it would be nice to have the option of auto-updating the icon every 15 mins-1 hour (like we have with auto-checking mail). Might be worth a small drain for some people...

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I never noticed that the weather icon had a temp on it until now. It would be great if the graphic and temp updated with data from the first city in your weather list (the first dot on the left) whenever you visited the home screen.

Maybe it will happen some day. Only took Apple 5 years to get the date in the ical icon to update so there is hope.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Don't worry guys, Apple will try to sell us the ever-changing temperature icon with the next firmware. Still no cut and paste, but now you don't have to waste time and energy by clicking on the weather icon! :rolleyes:

jake36wi41

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006

You don't get to call someone dumb, then use the word "wheather."

Just saying...

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Okay, clearly dynamic icons are possible ... so that means:

1. The weather icon should find change based on your own location and display actual weather and temperature. Have themes for rain, etc. The weather app also needs a "my location" weather option, I don't feel like manually adding cities when I just want to know what the forecast is for where I am.
2. The clock icon should show the actual time, at least down to the minute if not second. It can't take that much processing power to display it.

macfearless

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008

come on now, guys. maybe it's some sort of northwest agricultural colloquialism that we're not familiar with. perhaps it is a combination of wheat and weather. wheather - ideal climate for harvesting wheat :D

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Okay, clearly dynamic icons are possible ... so that means...

While it's possible to have dynamic icons, you'll likely need to have the app run in the background to some extent (that is, if they are not one of Apple's chosen that can run in the background). Currently, I don't think the weather app runs in the background, but the clock does I think (based on the fact that the alarm goes off when the app is not opened). It would be cool if we could have a 3rd party weather app to display a dynamic icon (because I don't even use the native weather app - it's pretty useless compared to TWC or AccuWeather).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.