Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Oct 2, 2007, 01:51 AM   #1
idiefilms
macrumors newbie

MacBook hang up PLEASE HELP!

Ok want to get a Macbook. But im waiting for a couple of things. First of all leapord of course. Secondly when is the next hardware update going to happen because I figure it must be soon judgeing from when the last update was. The only things thats holding me back from getting one now is the graphics card. I want to do light video editing such as capturing footage or small SD projects but i mainly use my iMac for HD and large project editing. I also do light gaming, usually just AOE III, the battlefield games, and wow. Now I can wait for a while say just before the end of the year/ very early january. When do you guys think an update will happen (I know there is a bunch of speculation already) and if not soon do you guys think I should go ahead and get a macbook (after leapord update of course). Now im not looking for absolutly stellar performance in editing and gaming, I have a desktop for that, just something for travel and general use. I just dont want to be one of those people who goes "well look whats coming so I should wait for that" because in computers that will never end. So im in a bit of a conundrum, what do you guys think I should do?

Last edited by idiefilms; Oct 3, 2007 at 12:30 AM.
idiefilms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 12:40 AM   #2
idiefilms
macrumors newbie

Also if possible can someone tell me anything about the GMA 950 card as far as how well the video preview works for final cut. Consider I have the maximum amount of RAM. Is the preview sluggish at all.
idiefilms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 01:52 AM   #3
Zuwxiv
macrumors member

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a iBook G4 and I've been waiting for Leopard at least to buy my MacBook.

I don't have much experience with the current MacBooks, but without it being fully upgraded I would expect Final Cut Pro to run with difficulty. Games might vary based on the support of the developer for lower-end systems, I don't have any experience with those games. But I know that my iBook can pull off some surprising things with games, so I would think you would have a chance.

Really, with the money it would cost to get a MacBook for games or light video editing, you should buy a MacBook Pro. That way you get a video card for actually doing both competently. That's just my opinion though, the MacBook has a much better keyboard IMO and I can see why you want one.
Zuwxiv is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice