Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idiefilms

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Ok want to get a Macbook. But im waiting for a couple of things. First of all leapord of course. Secondly when is the next hardware update going to happen because I figure it must be soon judgeing from when the last update was. The only things thats holding me back from getting one now is the graphics card. I want to do light video editing such as capturing footage or small SD projects but i mainly use my iMac for HD and large project editing. I also do light gaming, usually just AOE III, the battlefield games, and wow. Now I can wait for a while say just before the end of the year/ very early january. When do you guys think an update will happen (I know there is a bunch of speculation already) and if not soon do you guys think I should go ahead and get a macbook (after leapord update of course). Now im not looking for absolutly stellar performance in editing and gaming, I have a desktop for that, just something for travel and general use. I just dont want to be one of those people who goes "well look whats coming so I should wait for that" because in computers that will never end. So im in a bit of a conundrum, what do you guys think I should do?

idiefilms

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Also if possible can someone tell me anything about the GMA 950 card as far as how well the video preview works for final cut. Consider I have the maximum amount of RAM. Is the preview sluggish at all.

Zuwxiv

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
I'm in the same boat as you. I have a iBook G4 and I've been waiting for Leopard at least to buy my MacBook.

I don't have much experience with the current MacBooks, but without it being fully upgraded I would expect Final Cut Pro to run with difficulty. Games might vary based on the support of the developer for lower-end systems, I don't have any experience with those games. But I know that my iBook can pull off some surprising things with games, so I would think you would have a chance.

Really, with the money it would cost to get a MacBook for games or light video editing, you should buy a MacBook Pro. That way you get a video card for actually doing both competently. That's just my opinion though, the MacBook has a much better keyboard IMO and I can see why you want one. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.