Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alset

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
You know, as much use as I get out of Mail.app (personally, I love it - no matter what some of my friends say), I can't figure out how to remove old SMTP settings after deleting an account. I can add servers, I can modify existing servers, but I can't seem to delete servers to save my life! I have tried Mail.app Help files and Apple Knowledge Base, but no luck. Can anyone give me a hand, please?

Thanks in advance!
Dan

edit - oops; i meant to put this in the "help" section - my bad

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
there's no way i know of through Mail.app. but the info is in this file which you can edit by hand:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist

alset

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by zimv20
there's no way i know of through Mail.app. but the info is in this file which you can edit by hand:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist

Seems like a major goof to leave that out of the app, but so it is. Thanks much zimv20!

Dan

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Look in `/Library/Scripts/Mail Scripts/

You should see a "Manage SMTP Servers" script file, run that and you can clean up your SMTP servers.

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Originally posted by beg_ne
Look in ?`/Library/Scripts/Mail Scripts/

You should see a "Manage SMTP Servers" script file, run that and you can clean up your SMTP servers.
Yeah, Apple dropped the ball in this version, they better fix it in the next one.

flashysite

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
Mac mail

Yeah, Apple dropped the ball in this version, they better fix it in the next one.

Which version are you running? Your post was 2002, so probably Tiger? Now 11 years later, running mavericks, apple still hasn't fix this problem. I think it's trying to catch up with outlook express.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Actually this problem was fixed years ago. in Mail->Preferences select Accounts and then the Account Information tab.

In the outgoing Mail Server popup, you can select "Edit SMTP Server List..." - see attachment: (Note that it doesn't matter what account you have selected, you'll see your full smtp server list.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 7.48.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 7.48.41 PM.png
    130 KB · Views: 119
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.