Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
As confirmed to macworld UK today in case anyone missed it:

This morning it emerged that O2 believes 200MB is sufficient as a monthly data allowance.

When the iPhone/O2 deal was announced in the UK, the mobile network said its fair use policy would allow for up to 1,400 web pages per day to be viewed. But its contractual terms allow for just 200MB of data per month, reports ZDNet.

That report points out that this data tariff is just 20 per cent of that offered by T-Mobile.

O2 this afternoon confirmed the 200MB per month data usage restriction to Macworld, and also let customers know that the iPhone usage agreement also restricts users to just 60-hours per month usage of the Cloud WiFi network.

BuxtonUK

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
That's physically sickening. I really can't believe they think that's enough, especially them wanting me to pay a minimum of £35 a month, was actually thinking about the £45 a month tariff but to be honest, 600 minutes, 500 texts, unlimited data* suddenly doesn't seem worth it.

Think I'll just unlock it and use pay as you go.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
Personally I feel that Mathew Kelly (CEO of O2) pulled a fast one and conned us all with his misleading words on launch day. He should be thoroughly ashamed of himself!

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
This morning it emerged that O2 believes 200MB is sufficient as a monthly data allowance.

i believe i confirmed it to these forums on 1st october when i pasted an email i received from the 02 press office :D

ibanana

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
can u guys stop complaining for a bit ? of course it's too expensive, of course it's not enough data, of course the iphone is lack of obvious functionalities BUT when we will all (the uk guys) hold it for the first time, i mean OUR iphone it's gonna be so great that i can bet we'll quickly forget about all the negative points....please bear in mind where you are coming from (i.e. you current cr@p phone) and mine s.cks BIG time (nokia 6111)

i can't wait, these 3 last weeks b4 the release are killing me...

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
i mean OUR iphone it's gonna be so great.....
True but that is no reason not to complain about O2 when a complaint is fully justified.

In my view, describing 200MB per month as unlimited data is just blatant dishonesty, and I for one am going to say so, however wonderful the hardware is.

MacMonkee

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2007
UK
I read somewhere that this is 20% of what T-Mobile users get. If so this is terrible and 200MB could never be considered unlimited.

Do you think if we got enough people to complain we can get it changed to more? Only 200 minutes for £35 is ridiculous too when the equivalent contact on AT&T has 450. We are getting screwed by O2! :mad:

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
Only 200 minutes for £35 is ridiculous too when the equivalent contact on AT&T has 450

don't forget they get 5000 evening and weekend minutes in addition to the 450 minutes making the comparison even less favourable (although incoming calls are deducted from the allowance).

dombookpro

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
So what does 200mb equate to? Even with my remedial maths, surely 200mb is less like 1400 pages a day, and more like 500 pages a month?! Maybe someone could correct me, by I reckon the average web page is more like 200-300 kb...

Anyone? Is so, then this 1400 pages a day thing is utter bull.

d

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
the more I here of 02 the more there is to dislike. The mac fans like ourselves will still by the phone and I am counting down the days but as for the non mac public 02 is not doing much to excite them.
will be interesting when the ad campaign starts next week, apple have to take some of the blame for the high tarrif's but I doubt the data limit is anything to do with them!

ps. but apart from that I'm so excited..............

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007

d

it's supposed to include cloud wifi; this is from an o2 press person:

You can browse the web on an iPhone in three different ways; on the O2
cellular network, over The Cloud WiFi hotspots and on any open
home/work/public wifi connection.

The figure Matthew referred to on the 18th September was the maximum
utilisation of the first two of these put together - clearly any use
through home/work wifi would be additional.

Just explaining the exact numbers, the iPhone tariff includes a fair
usage limit of 200MB on the O2 network and 60 hours on The Cloud per
month. In our calculations on typical page size and usage this combined
would equate to 1400 pages per day.

dombookpro

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
Thank u Sananda,

Clearly put. This kind of makes sense... sort of... But naturally, it depends of how fast u can read a webpage whilst surfing on a Cloud hotspot! ;)

To give some perspective, I phoned Orange the other day to terminate my contract (30 day notice) - but when I did, an Orange rep tried to offer me incentives to stay with them. When I told them that the only thing I'd be remotely interested would be an unlimited data plan, I was told that they don't have one, but could offer me a 30mb per month plan for £8!!! Yes, u heard right, 30mb per month! And this was "capped", which presumably means that it is not fair use, and rather, that u start paying when u got beyond the 30mb. Needless to say, armed with that information, I went ahead with the termination of the contract - We shall see how much I end up using per month once I get my shiny new phone.

d

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
One simple way to get this changed is to vote with your feet and not buy one. I'd like to see how many people who have been moaning about some aspect or another since it was announced actually take a stand and don't buy it.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
I dont think the iphone is going to be a big hit in the UK, We are use to getting phones for free. Im currently an O2 customer and i was very exited to get the iphone. but then i realized what horrible plan o2 is giving us. 200 mins and 200 text, 200MB limited internet and visual voicemail (Witch i dont care about) and all this for 18 months contract starting at £35. My current plan i pay £35 plus 7.50 for Bolt on for 600 mins and 1000 texts and a free N95. In 18 months the iphone is going to be an old phone and im going to be stuck with it.

I also think after a couple of months o2 is really going to push that fair use policy in your face and if you go over your limit they will downgrade you to GPRS speeds.

If we are paying these horrible plans at least we should have got the handset for free.

Also dose Orange have a good EDGE coverage? and do they a good web-plan? i might just buy an iphone and unlock it and use it with Orange.

danielforman

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2007
How they can justify calling 200MB a month unlimited I don't know. Fair enough you won't do massive downloading of files but even downloading email with an attachment and viewing web pages with a number of photos on will soon push up your usage.

In the first few weeks after the iPhone is released in the UK most people who have one will use the internet quite a bit I would say and how they expect us to keep within the fair usage is stupid.

I emailed O2 asking what the fair usage was to see what response I got as other people i know have had different responses someone was even told by O2 customer service it would be 22GB a month. The email I received back was as follows

Hello O2 Customer,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We're really excited about the iPhone - for the most up to date information we recommend you visit our website http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone or http://www.apple.com/ukstore

If your query doesn't relate to the iPhone, please reply to this email and we'll help you further.

Kind regards,
O2 Customer Service

For starters I am not an O2 customer yet and was merely using there generic contact us email form on their website and also that has not answered my question as there are no details on either of the two websites they directed me to. They will soon have to tell us because it is only 3 weeks to go and with the ad campaign starting 2 weeks before the release more people will soon start asking these kind of questions.

Hopefully we will soon see a full Terms and Conditions document appear

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
my guess is they call it unlimited because the vast majority of people won't exceed it, or they have evidence based on past usage that it won't be exceeded by all but a very slim minority of people.

My guess is that most of the posts you see on here are by the statistical outliers who tend to use the web more than most or people who just object on principle to the use of the word "unlimited" when it's not.

As far as other companies offering cheaper plans...well yes, but if they cannot compete by offering the iPhone to their customers, what exactly do you expect them to do except to offer cheaper rates with more minutes/data?

I doubt they would be quite so accomodating if they had an exclusive deal to sell iPhones.

MacMonkee

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2007
UK
Does anyone think that had O2 said that it was 200MB a month instead of unlimited that as many people would be annoyed? I would never consider 200MB to be unlimited unless it was 200MB per day or even per week. O2 are pretty much falsely advertising the data plan.

Out of interest does anyone know what happens if you exceed the limit? Do you have to pay for the extra data, or will they cut you off or will they do like most ISPs and just slow you down?

danielforman

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2007
Out of interest does anyone know what happens if you exceed the limit? Do you have to pay for the extra data, or will they cut you off or will they do like most ISPs and just slow you down?

Yeah good question. Fair usage is different to data cap. Data cap means that you can't exceed the specified data amount or you will be charged for the extra data downloaded. But with fair usage this is a guide as to how much you can download usually at peak times. If you do download a lot and exceed the fair usage policy then your connection may be slowed down by the ISP/operator. Well this is what my ISP for ADSL says.

O2 are going to have to give some more details about this fair usage policy soon because people are going to want to know.

MacMonkee

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2007
UK
Ok I've just had a thought - has 200MB been confirmed for the iPhone's data plan or is this for other O2 users? I believe that O2 were upgrading their services to allow all users to get unlimited data (although whether that was a bolt on extra I can't remember?) so does the 200MB only apply to them or is it definitely for iPhone users?

I'm just hoping this is something that has been misinterpreted like the iPhone's battery where people were saying that after 300 charges the battery is dead when in actual fact it would still have 80% of its charge after 400 CYCLES.

I've just spoken to a friend of mine who knows a lot about websites and he reckons that unless you download big files and emails and use WI-FI where possible then 200MB might not be TOO much of a problem. However Google Maps is something I can see that will totally spank up your data usage so we are going to find out roughly how much it will use up. I'll post any findings we have soon (if we get any!).

I think the worst part of all this has actually been O2's wording - by saying it's unlimited makes people think that they will get a lot more data than 200MB!

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
Yeah good question. Fair usage is different to data cap. Data cap means that you can't exceed the specified data amount or you will be charged for the extra data downloaded. But with fair usage this is a guide as to how much you can download usually at peak times. If you do download a lot and exceed the fair usage policy then your connection may be slowed down by the ISP/operator. Well this is what my ISP for ADSL says.

O2 are going to have to give some more details about this fair usage policy soon because people are going to want to know.

They will drop your speeds to GPRS then if it continues they will shut it off.

Roseyboy

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2007
So what does 200mb equate to? Even with my remedial maths, surely 200mb is less like 1400 pages a day, and more like 500 pages a month?! Maybe someone could correct me, by I reckon the average web page is more like 200-300 kb...

d

This thread is just under 400k :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.